intake backfire help

hillman1

I'd say a timing fault causes the backfire and maybe that has popped the diaphragm in the carb causing a leak make sure you also take note which way your dizzy rotor is turining once you have set up timing. the more advance the easier it is to start so just advance it until it works if you dont have a timing light.

ok fixed fuel leak only tryed to start it the 2 times i videoed and done timing again set it to 5degress btdc as sujested and fixed a small vacume leak  started up good no back fire unless i try rev it and no where near as bad as it was no flame just a little puff dosent die like it did before dose any one know the firing order on a 2tgeu is only thing on the net i can find says 1432 but realy dosent sound right to me on paper or in car also after leting it idle for about 5 miniutes mucking round with dizzy exstractors got red hot from all 4 clyinders but engine temp was ok pulled plugs gave them a quick read and as exspected 1 and 2 are fine and 3 and 4 are a little lean as exspected with the manifold the carb is siting on so this would be the cause of the back fire im prety shure.

and im sorry if im pissing people off for asking for advice but seriously i realise this is not going to work great but it will work and i havent spent a cent on this set up just shit that was lying around if i had a proper manifold this would work and run just as good as any car runing a cd carb

and i apreciate all the advice that will actualy help me and yes a bit of constructive critisum is ok to 

glowing red hot hence saying red hot plugs say it only runing lean on 3 and 4 but all pipes are glowing will try swaping plugs around and if that dosent fix it will start looking for new starter motor and just move it as was sujested . if the carb was jeted for a 1600 avenger why wouldnt it work for a 1600 toyota? air flow or fuel just not reaching 3 and 4 becouse of manifold

sorry if it sounds like i dont know what im talking about that might have something to do with the fact i dont  if i did i wouldnt be asking for help would i

was just an idea i had so went for it not knowing if it would work or not and it fires so it shuld work but every one seems so against it but no one can give me a reason why it wont work??? am i just completly missing something here or is it just such a hatred of people trying to do stuff diffrently on the cheap and ugly 

Cletus probably nailed the main reason it will not work well, first reply too.

If you're not willing to take on board such comments, then you will find it pretty hard to get a result. There are people on here that are VERY experienced when it comes to things like this. If they are saying it's not going to work, or isn't worth messing around with. Then i'd say they are right. You say you don't know much about it, which is 100% fine, everyone needs to learn at some stage. But just ignoring replies if they don't fit with your current goal isn't going to help you out. You'd be annoyed if you blew it up costing $$$$ because no one told you it was a bad idea. Your call from there pretty much.

ok sweet so its not going to work thats the answer i was after every one was saying it wasnt wort mucking round with and to just push the car witch i took as stop being a lazy cunt and push it not no mater how much you fuck around with that its never going to work as far as i was thinking was if it fires then it will work  just need to work kinks out. obviously it will work on that carb just not that carb on that manifold is that right?

also was planing on runing the motor on oer carbs after rebuild so thought it was a good time to set up fuel lines etc and got all that done and went hang on a minute that carb bolts straight to the front of thi intake wonder if i could get it to run like that save me time and efort geting it in and out of shed and get it to auto sparky to wire headlights under its own power obviously i just need to concentrate on one thing at a time 

exhaust glowing red is also a sign of retarded timing

Yup KK gave you 5 degrees as a starting point, chuck 15 degrees at it if its just for moving it out of the shed. Don't take what anyone has said as a personal attack, you brushed off some people's suggestions so they are going to treat you accordingly.

Yes this can work but its shit all around, the fuel has to take a nasty turn into the runner and the last two cylinders will barely be getting fuel, end of story. Keep going if you must and take on some of the suggestions people have made or figure out a better solution.

ok thanks mate i never intended to brush any one off i will have one last crack at it tomorrow and if i cant sort it i will revert back to pushing will probably wind the jet up to get more fuel in so its not runing as lean on 3 and 4 but not to the point its super rich on 1 and 2 what i have taken away from this is runing lean obviously,timing needs more ajustment,change plugs and get corect firing order if it is wrong, listen to what people are telling u, and finaly im an idiot for thinking the mani would work with a carb on the front of it lol but hey at least iv learnt a few starting points for seting timing 

exhaust glowing red is also a sign of retarded timing

nailed it. its also why its so hard to start. and back firing . your timing is not correct, check the order as stated by looking at cams whilst turning over the engine by hand.

be careful trying to run it until you know this is correct or you're going to ruin your engine ! Haynes manual for a 2t or 3t are cheap as , probably get one from "tradme" for 5 bucks.

keep it simple , don't cut corners,  you can make this go with nothing more than a Haynes manual for guidance.  you have air fuel compression and spark already just have to get it in he right order : )

If you read my first post you would have had the firing order!

You are trying to make an injected engine run well with a carb.

Without everything hooked up like idle control (if this is open by default it could be why you are running lean) and spark retard not to mention 20psi from a EFI pump instead of 6psi or so there is no way you will ever get it right.

I'm surprised it runs at all.

1600 Avenger push rod is a very different from the 2T-G 1600 DOHC.

You can get 2T-G twin side draft manifolds to suit twin choke Minkuni's / Webber's or Delorto's and twin SU type single chokes as well, I think there's also a duel twin choke down draft set up like the 3K uses available to if you look hard enough.

The manifold design is most probably a big cause for it not running well. That is an injected manifold and it's a long way from the carb to the cylinders not to mention the fuel has to change 90 degree direction.

I feel it more likely than not that the fuel is falling out of the air/fuel mix before getting to the cylinders as the intake velocity is not there. If it was turbo charged it may work fine - but it's not.

It's fine trying to rangi something up to see if something runs but you are really trying to rangi something up to actually drive the car (albeit a few metres) - I really don't think it is going to work in this case.

Also with the questions you are asking I would guess you are not particularly familiar with fixing cars. I think it will be a big ask for even an experienced boffin to do what you are suggesting to do, let alone a rookie. (no disrespect intended)

• Like 1