3 Piece Reassembly. What Sealant To Use?

OldSkoolCorona

sure your not thinking the lube they use? (white creamy stuff they paint on) it not exactly a sealant

He's a tyre man, so probably not ;)

Is that bead sealer like a glue/silicone Chris? Would be interesting to try. IMO the best stuff for it is urethane or 3 bond though.

• Like 1

I'm not too sure.  It's like a thinner version of the shitty cheap black sealant you can buy from Repco in the orange tube.  (I think anyway.)

It's about as thick as a standard outdoor house paint if that's any good as a comparison.  For sealing between bead lip and tyre it's amazing, but I've never used it on doing wheels before.

Tried to edit that post, but for some reason I can't?

Wanted to add;

If it ever comes to it, the reality is that a proper sealant such as those mentioned above would be a better option.  I was more just throwing a thought out there as an alternative option.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On that note I am a plumber I have plenty of silicone . Got the best clear MS silicone in the van that u can buy .. will it be ok ? My point being my rear wheels are made out of 2x rear lips each so if they leak I gotta get a crowbar n cut the silicone out n repeat which is a little mish which if I can avoid will be helpful

Is that the stuff that corrodes everything?

Everything?

It's good on aluminium as it etches it slightly to create a strong bond. Keep it away from copper and zinc though and any electronics.

You could always just bolt them together and run an inner tube.

• Like 2

It will for a short period of time.

Standard  tubes are designed to go up round to suit the likes of a 185R14C commercial tyre.  When you start forcing them into an oval shape (such as a 185/55R14) you can't sections that are more stretched than others and because some of the rubber is thin, they will end up going flat.  You also can't have anything that the tube can get into and cause a puncture,

If you live near the ocean, you will also get corrosion on the inside of the wheel as it will be exposed to salt water vapor through the valve stem hole. (albeit this will be slow)

• Like 1