Guest hmmmnz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tele29

Hi there I like your camper.

One thing I thought I should mention - tanalised timber can react with ali and cause corrosion, I have seen it on ali boats where guys have replaced the ply floor with treated ply.

I don't know if it as much of a concern in a non-marine environment but thought I should put my 2c in.

Extremely jealous of the range of beers BTW, adnams broadside was a favourite of mine when I lived in London.

• Like 1

Guest hmmmnz

good to know, ill perhaps put a bit of builders paper between the timber and the ali, mucho thanks,

yeah the beers over here have come on leaps and bounds since i was last living in the uk, (not just generic larger) and the local dairy here in eskbank has a better selection than any supermarket ive seen in nz,

saying that the micro brew beers in nz are getting to be pretty damn respectable

, especially the porters and stouts even the generic boundry road chocolate stout is fantastic,

Guest snapper

I am loving this camper, awesome score - esp with the low mileage! seriously, you should budget to bring it back to niu zild when your time is finished in blighty.

I guess I'd be paranoid about the amount of weight I installed in the re-fit. If only aerolam were cheap and plentiful. you need a contact in aircraft maintenance!

Guest yoeddynz

Is that blackfrier beer from wychwood breweries? they be just down the road from us when I lived near oxford.

Nice merc- travellers favourite! Not pikey like transhits.

Id avoid anything tantalised as well. You'll get headaches and other nasty shit. stay with decent timber. Find and fix the leaks then line out with T&G pine cladding from B&Q or Wickes. Cheap at about 4 quid a packet- lightweight and transforms inside quickly. I had done several vans and trucks with it.

That little heater is a bonus.

Guest hmmmnz

the black friar beer is from inveralmond brewery in scotland, around perth way,

most of the beers ill be drinking will be scottish may be the occasional english beer if the come up on special at tescos

yeah not keen on the tongue and groove look, it suited your camper though, i think it'l just be ply on the walls then covered in something,

who knows

• 4 weeks later...

I'm liking what you are doing.. What is the intention with the camper once you get it done?

One would hope they are going to camp in it.

Always amazes me what lies beneath the panels etc on these things, once you rip into them and see what's hiding in there. After watching the old man build up his bus over a few years, the compromises and little tricks you need to use to create useable space inside a camper are pretty in depth. As well as the compromised construction techniques!

Can't wait to see the final product :D

yeah, it's awesome.  I meant to comment on the cool LED lighting, couldn't find the discussion thread.  keep it up, we're watching your progress.  Are you planning on tripping around europe for the rest of the summer, as soon as it's completed?

yeah, hadnt even checked this :D 

yeah will be doing most of eastern europe this summer (nz winter) and hopefully another ski season in france (if i can convince the mrs again..)  she's not to keen at the moment,  but ill keep at her,  im not sure im quite ready to face actual reality just yet :)

lol, i might just do that :D and start with a different base,

camper bases like these are just poorly made, id never buy one again,

they are just built to be light with no other structual considerations taken into account.

id start with a horse truck / small furniture truck type thing,  with the luton over the cab,

a decent floor and a steel frame,  while the merc has a good motor chassis and cab, the bones of the camper part are just shit,

I'm loving your updates. Especially the beers! You are making me extremely jealous I must say. Except that weather.

I bet the inside has that nice plywood smell- that darker marine ply you are using is Keruing. We used it on the outside of the housetruck. Good stuff. It won't usually mention what it is on the labels at wickes/b&q/home base etc because it's a bit of a naughty product- felled rain forests etc. Primarely consists of orangutang blood, or least that what I have told the hippys.

To make good your evil choice of wood you shall now have to go out and save several kittens from the wild, take them on your trip around eastern Europe and show them a good life. But for now drink more beer.

What time is it getting dark now where you are ?

sorry about the lack of updates, the laptops hard drive crapped it self,  fucken thing is only 6 months old,  just got a new solid state drive delivered and freshly installed windows again,  so ill do a pic dump,  also yesterday was spent driving and riding for 16hours to pick up a new bath room, and an old 80's bmw r80 monolever,  :D  so that's a new project for after the summer,

at the moment its sunny at 9pm sunset at 9.45 but light until around 10.30pm, and the fucken sun is up and blazing at 4:30am

friggin weird,  and really sucks balls in the winter when its the oppisite way round and its barely light at 10am and dark at 3pm