1987 1uz e30 (the Sake Bomb.)

d.p.n.s

ok so while im at home doing fuckall i thought i would have a think about my gearbox

ive decided to use the g52 (i know not the worlds strongest box but its not the worlds heavest car) that k-trips gave me with the motor for now.

the problem being the box is short and it puts the gear stick close to the dash .........well to close that i cant get it out of 2nd gear.

dscf6770ef.jpg

ive been thinking of making a remote shifter like this

shifter06.jpg

it all eems pretty easy to do but i want to make the origanal mount as shorter shift as posable do i just make the pivot point higher to do this?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt you've looked at this, but it just seems like there is a bit of room behind that motor. Bearing in mind that it is a race car how much work would be required to sit the engine back another 50mm or so? The shifter relocation seems like a pretty cool idea though, so would be worth doing that as well. zep runs something similar in his Gemini, as the factory shifters come up quite far forward in these and have an ugly doglegged gearstick.

dscf6754d.jpg

No doubt you've looked at this, but it just seems like there is a bit of room behind that motor. Bearing in mind that it is a race car how much work would be required to sit the engine back another 50mm or so? The shifter relocation seems like a pretty cool idea though, so would be worth doing that as well. zep runs something similar in his Gemini, as the factory shifters come up quite far forward in these and have an ugly doglegged gearstick.

dscf6754d.jpg

yeah that pic was of the motor just sitting in the bay its now mounted as far back as it can go.

so went back to work today on light duties (what ever the fuck that is)

so i used my time to cut and weld the sump/weldup the engine mounts and start making the remote shifter.

heres the sump.

dscf6772a.jpg

dscf6771g.jpg

i didnt take much off it bit will run a oil cooler to make up for folume loss.

my $28.50 remote shifter.

I started by making a  spacer block to lift the factory shifter up 10mm and cut and extended the pivot ball

bought a alloy rod and bearing (that's the $28.50) could have used an old ball joint to make it for free.

heres some pics.

dscf6774q.jpg

dscf6775i.jpg

dscf6780v.jpg

now theres about 40mm at the top of the gaer stick between throws.

sweet