Rookie's '74 CB360 Bobber

Rookie

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the seat could do with a touch up. Have you got a boat/car upholsterers nearby? For $30/box of waikato they would do the whole stitched leather look (albeit vinyl) and it would be the cherry on top of this sweet sweet cake.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So things went wrong last night.

IMG_20131203_220126_zpsead7549f.jpg

I was riding home from Tom's and I pulled up to an intersection and it suddenly got a huge top end knock.

I pulled over, pulled the lash covers off and it hadn't dropped a valve,  so I got Maria to tow me home.

I then pulled the rockers off and it all looked fine. The cam was fine, as was the chain tensioners, I was at a loss at this point and took the head off.

IMG_20131203_220139_zps2eeb3369.jpg

and I found....

IMG_20131203_220331_zps6f0b2afe.jpg

IMG_20131203_220256_zpsf0f36fda.jpg

IMG_20131203_220348_zps0dd5c56b.jpg

IMG_20131203_220306_zps754ee384.jpg

So make sure you check you butterfly screws boes!

• Like 5

Is compression ok on the cyl with the dent? I saw a scooter piston that had dropped the valve seat into the bore once and the dents on top of the piston had closed the ring groove and pinched the ring so it wasnt floating any more. Even with a new head it would not have had good compression.

Put this back together last night, runs good but I drilled the jets as it seemed to be running a bit lean, and now it has a mid range miss, so I think it is too rich now, I will pull the baffles out tonight and see if it gets any better, otherwise I will put the stock jets back in.  

It is a bit weird but it looks like the right bank is running leaner than the left, so I think I might have an air leak, more investigation is necessary.

• Like 1

Gah! the saga continues!

So last night while I was trying to get it going I ran it out of gas without knowing, after lots of swearing and much trying to breath life into it I decided to check some stuff, first up was the carbs, everything checked out ok, so I reset the idle mixtures and then moved onto ignition. This is where things got interesting, the points are 90° apart on the cam and as such 180° apart on the crank, the crank is conveniently marked with tdc and static spark timing for each cylinder. So I timed it up on the left cylinder and the spun the crank over 180° and the timing on the right cylinder was about 20° more advanced than it was supposed to be?!?!

I guess that would explain why the cylinders look like this:
IMG_20131203_220331_zps6f0b2afe.jpg

So I dug round in my parts box and found some other points that looked in much better condition, and I chucked them on and it timed up good on both cylinders, which was a relief. So then I carried on figured out it had no gas, put some of that in and it fired right up, infact it had never sounded better. So I took the baffles out of the exhaust and went for a ride to test it out. This is where it went south... it pulled great down low but it had a high rpm miss, which lets be honest, is no good for drag racing hahaha. So tonight I will put the stock 100 main jets back in and see if that makes a difference, if it does sweet, if not then I have some new points coming, as I have a suspicion that they are bouncing....

Wish me luck!

• Like 1