Seat belt webbing replacement

vivaspeed

Yeah the stitching would be a worry - half way through the windscreen going "damn, wish I could sew better...". You might find an upholsterer that could do the stitching for you with a heavy thread/industrial machine.

I wouldn't trust my sewing on a belt. Buttons regularly fall off my shirts once I've tried to stitch them back on, and my recollection of intermediate school sewing is not good (I was more interested in how the sewing machine worked than the actual joining of fabric).

I did find one place that knew of a place in Oz that could re-manufacture belts, but I imagine you'd run into issues with going to an inertia reel. My car for instance doesn't have a mounting point on the B pillar for the top piece, it's behind the driver's seat under the side window. Must be loads of info on the 'net about conversion.

I'm just going to put in modern belts for the WOF ($90 each) and sort the rest in the future.

Safety First

With retractable the key would be to pull them all the way out, then the belt slides off the drum. just make sure you dont let the drum unwind. There is a small loop in that end of the belt with a platstic bit inside. With the plistic bit out you should be able to slide off the buckle, fit desired buckle and re assemble. I really wouldn't recommend restitching any part of a seatbelt that takes the force of impact.

yep belts have to have a safety standard marking on them....eg,

if its US it wil be FMVSS106, euro stuff has E in a circle, NZ aust is NZS2596

have seen an indians van that had diy belts stitched up with fishing nylon.....eek. modifying belts yourself is a no-go

Autoliv used to do belts here but they have closed up shop, only in oz now.