RB/skidline driveline into Merc questions

ThePog

So the dirty old merc wagoon is pissing me off in a big way, engine is misfiring and playing up.

So I got in the internets and found a boy in Hams who has an RB conversion kit that he made, have seen pics of the mounts etc and it all seems legit.

So some questions;

- What is the right engine/code/year to look for

- are all the RB mounts the same across the years

- This conversion is for a manual, will the box mount fit an auto

- There is a driveshaft, this is for a manual nissan box, will it fit into the nissan auto?

- Am I a dick?

Go

1. What kind of RB are you after for a start. RB20E, ET, DE (3 or 4 types), 20DET (3 or 4 types), RB25DE (3 or 4 types), 25DET (3 types?), RB30E, ET, RB26DETT

2. I'm 99% certain the where the mounts bolt to the block is the same for all RB engines. The physical mounts themselves are different depending on year or if the motor was 4wd etc.

3. The mount on the autos is either futher forward or back from the manual mount, can't remember which but I think it's like 50mm out one way?

4. The yolks may be the same for the "small" boxes but the driveshafts are different lengths from memory and most of the shafts are 2 piece. Manual yolks are pretty easy to come by. RB25DET 2wd & RB30ET boxes take bigger yolks, the 4wd boxes are wacky.

5. Yes :)

Have you seen the systems diagram on those M104 engines? particularly the vacuum arrangements? It is a fucking miracle it goes at all TBH.

The car is sweet but the autos are difficult/slow, the engines leak like a mitsi, and it has done 365000kms. I just think it will be a decent swap, with most of the hard work done already.

And stop talking sense, you are causing me to question my foregone decision.

hey buddy , m104 motors are usually pretty good . oil leak will be headgasket and/or 'c' seal on timing chain cover , should be able to get both done for about $1000-1200 parts and labour friendlyish retail , what is the rough running issue ? what have you tried/checked so far , could be wiring loom insulation breaking up , airflow meter , could be something basic too , is yours coil on plug or distributor on front of engine ? (if dizzy ; cap and rotor will have green stuff growing inside) good luck ! cheers Tim , PS ; all realistic DIY stuff if you are keen/carefull & probably not as expensive as engine conversion/certification

Yea I have the seals to fix the cambox leak etc, just haven't got around to it yet.

There is a vac leak somewhere that causes shit idling 75% of the time, and it falters sometimes on the open road which I think is the same issue.

At the moment in addition to this when it is warm is is virtually undriveable, it just pisses and farts around, misfiring etc. This happened a year ago and my mech dude replaced the dizzy cap, which mostly fixed it. Just going out now to see if that is ok.

I just want to get into it and know it will go everytime is all.