Lowering MK2 triumph

Southerner

Im planning on lowering my mk2 triumph. Ive searched for how to do this and there doesnt appear to be much out there, or either im looking in the wrong places.

Ive seen Snoozin and beaver's project threads and from what they have done is just cut there springs and replace them with standard ones for wof? If so how much do you cut off so it is at a good hieght. Or is getting proper lowering springs better in the long run? This car is just my summer cruiser so it doesnt need to handle like a race car as such.

Are the springs captive once this is done? Ive got adjustable air shockies in the rear end of the car, am i better off looking round for some that arent adjustable to swap in instead?

Any help would be appreciated in how to lower my car a few inches towards the road.

Cheers

right, my experience/opinions.

For both my olds red sedan and my wagon, I use springs that came from goat/joe which are cut factory springs. not sure on how many coils etc but can take pictures off them if you want (they arnt in the car at the moment). They are still captive front and back, although the front sits on bump stops.

the rear wheels camber out and toe in something silly when its quite low and will chew through tyres alot quicker.

If you dont want to fluff about swapping out springs for wof (it now takes me about an hour max as I have spare struts for the front so dont actually have to take the springs off the struts and the whole strut unbolts with 7 bolts) the maybe just get some lowering springs that you can get wofs with.

they do look sweet when boned though.

If you could post a pic thatd be great. How much did you lower your one? Mines a manual one, so has the lower gearbox crossmember, thers also alot of shit thats hanging down, like bolts for swing arms etc which means i really cant slam it to low. Im not worried about swapping springs back and forth or it riding on bump stops.

What is adjustable in the rear shocks? Is it height or dampening? Either way I would have thought they'd be handy over non-adjustable ones.

As for height, as a general rule (not specific to one car) 1-2" tends to be easiest as you can get aftermarket springs that remain captive with stock shocks. More than that and you have to go to shorter shocks / run into the likes of bump stop clearance problems. The above is only a problem if you want to keep it legal. If you're not worried about that then I guess options differ.

adjustable air shocks will be both height and damping. when they are empty the will sit lower and have less dampening/sloppy ride. when they are pumped up they will jack it and be much stiffer.

for keeping things captive they can be an issue as they often have a longer stroke.

I rekon its an easy 3-4" on mine and everything is captive.

I chopped 1.5 coils from the front & 2 coils from the back. Still captive. Although the front sat about 10mm off the rubber bump stops. I also had air shocks in the back of my one. even with them pumped up the rear springs stayed captive. between fully deflated & inflated i could get a good 3 inches. My one was manual overdrive and I rarely had issues with the cross member scraping. it was mainly the exhaust that would scrape on large speed bumps. And I passed wof's with the cut springs in. I just painted them red & said the were custom made cobra lowering springs. Here's a pic to show the ride height with no air in the air shocks:

DSCF4155.jpg

• Like 1

If you could post a pic thatd be great. How much did you lower your one? Mines a manual one, so has the lower gearbox crossmember, thers also alot of shit thats hanging down, like bolts for swing arms etc which means i really cant slam it to low. Im not worried about swapping springs back and forth or it riding on bump stops.

I swapped from auto to manual overdrive, used the same crossmember with the same spacers. No difference in clearance at all.

For reference I looked at Joes/now Beavers springs and cut a little more off. I had 185/80/13 tyres though which helped with ground clearance.

Yea they run a bit of negative, im not to worried about tyres as i only use it over summer, not my daily driver.

Im running the standard 'S' mags with high tyres, so i may have to cut abit more off aswell. Its good to hear about the crossmember isnt to low

Yea they run a bit of negative, im not to worried about tyres as i only use it over summer, not my daily driver.

Im running the standard 'S' mags with high tyres, so i may have to cut abit more off aswell. Its good to hear about the crossmember isnt to low

with the S wheels and ballon tyres you will ahve plenty of room. looks pretty silly though (mine was liek that when I had leaking wheels).

low pro tyres make a big difference. joes trump (in the pic above) had the same springs that I have but 185/55 tyres. I ran 195/60s and was enough to stop major scraping etc.