no need to remove the cv to install a new boot.

NaN

There possibly still fucking expensive though, we had a rep come into the workshop years ago showing them off.

He was talking around $80+gst trade for 2 boots + a fair bit for the tool (like the metal boot gun on that site).

Might have gotten cheaper since though.

emailed a mechcanic friend of mine, he's his thought;

Sent: Friday, 18 May 2012 11:15 a.m.

To: Nigel Wade

Subject: Re: hey mate, cv boot install tool

Been around for years those cones. There are better tools for doing it that are air powered and spread the boot. TBH I wont use them, the boots are rubbish and they usually leak after about 12 months, plus they tear easily too. Would rather pull the shaft and do it properly

P

I use these boots everyday almost, they work brilliantly, they tear if your a rough cunt and I use them on my own vehicles and they have last just as long as any others that I've used...

I haven't had one tear on me in 2 years probably, we buy them in a big pack from BNT and use an air tool to stretch them.

I'm sure they're only like 100 Bucks for a big bag of them... Don't quote me on that though...

yup we use them at work also, never had one tear at all, there are bloody strong, if then can stretch to almost 3 times the original opening size i don't think they are week or easy to tear at all. if anything they are stronger then a normal one to take that kind of stretch and still last 4 or more years.

the down side to using these is if you don't pull the joint apart, and its been open to let shit and dust dirt stones etc in then you can clean and re grease it properly. so they aren't really that great in those regards, but if you are using them to replace a boot that is split then they seam to work well as most of the time the grease is fairly clean.

they are the norm nower days as they save time, and everyone wants to spend the smallest amount of money possible so for average Joe there are perfect

if I'm going to turn a spanner on something I would far rather just do the whole job; If one boot is split, I just pull both half shafts out, replace all the cv's and boots, and the brakes just so I dont have to deal with it for ages, and so it's all wearing out at the same time and rate, other wise you end up going through a 1yr period of replacing a boot here, or a cv there, .. then some pads, stuff that. One afternoon, $300 in parts, done.

That said, .. I have been known to notice worn boots pre-warrent, go get a warrant, a month of later they split, so I gaffa tape them up and get around to it when they start clicking.

Then, I can see why a customer wouldnt do it though.

I've found that most half shafts have the spline set lower than the shaft, so that's not possible,

AND, there is often some sort of balancing rubber/ something on the shaft.

AND, Honda outta c.v.'s have an internal spring so no amount of beating will get that fucker off, you have to cut it off with a grinder, if you try and beat it off the spring will clean the spline right off the first part of the shaft.

I really dont like honda's much after my weekend helping my neighbour with his gf's honda.

Yeah Honda's can be a cunt, they also sieze in the hub alot making the tool useless.

I think the tool is useless anyway, its the same amount of work to just do it with normal boots.

And if the joint won't come off the shaft just remove the shaft and do it as Yammies said from the other end.