EFI_LC's VR SS Commodore 5.0

EFI_LC

Details on the software? how do you connect to the ECU to tune it?

You need a small board that has nvram to write to and a cable to connect to the ecu, depends on which model all the details are here. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=655 and the software is free

You can turn off the anti-theft security so you can run these engines in any other vehicles as well.

Heaps of detail on setup and help available - total cost around $250

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well an interesting day, The dyno has shown something that I will have to take care of.

I run HSV Headers into a single 2 1/2" exhaust and the power runs pretty flat in top revs after showing some promise,

The injectors were at maximum 84% duty cycle last time and its running leaner than before yet the power flattens for about 900rpm in the higher revs as you will see. I am planning on a larger exhaust to see how much it can improve it
It did however produce 10hp at the wheels virtually the entire rev range compared to the first run. Also this was on Z 95, the other day was on BP 98

I watched another Youtube vid of a GroupA which made 203RWHP and it also ran flat in the higher revs.

I reckon this isn't too bad but I would like quite a bit more

However saying that and that I have a 5600rpm redline I have a power band from 300lb/ft Torque at the wheels to 210hp rear wheels which is 3500rpm to 5300rpm which is half my useable rev range which should make for some interesting driving and drag strip for the old clunker.

small-dyno-pic_zps80729cb8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for the new exhaust system build this weekend.

No doubt I will need some additional silencing but I have a bit of a plan there too, I may do a bolt on/off 2"-2.25"  dual rear muffler for around town and then bolt on straight pipes 2.5" for racing.

Priced $1100 - cost for material <$500 + Welding/power/bourbon.

There is a mathematical equation to work out HP before an exhaust becomes restrictive and I could have gotten away with 2x2.25" but have future proofed and will give a little torque away for HP.

exhaust-parts_zps031c580b.jpg

exhaust-pipes-in-boot_zps9703628c.jpg

There is no gain in going bigger unless I invest in another part as the collector is only 2.25" so that will be my bottleneck, I am future proofing it for when I get larger extractors.

Twin 2.5" should be good for over 400hp and I aint going for that much on the standard Bananas however I also plan to overcome them eventually as well.

When all this is done and the compression raised to around 10:1 it will be an interesting road car as even with this I am only running 9.3:1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after the test n tune I decided to alter a few things as a bit of a stab in the dark and have raised the rev limit and added a bit more fuel and timing.
I ran a best 14.55@96mph on the day using nothing special street tires which gripped and smoked up very nicely.

I was holding 2nd until about 5400rpm and shifting it into 3rd which would then change at 6000rpm instead of the normal 5500rpm when it's in drive, the extra 500rpm helped I think.

Great day had apart from the crash which I included below as well.

October-2013-PB-14-55-at-96mph_zps981fcb

Fark yea... it was an interesting day, the usually straight as an arrow binnema almost took out the 60ft timing gear, rails were getting that much grip the wheels were lifting on even them. The drag slicks were getting one hell of a workout.

No doubt about it, running an event the night before helps to make a perfect track surface for the next day, Trev Tolhurst is a champion track prepper.

On another note, I have now ordered a new manifold and it should arrive in a week or so. then I will plan the next modification to run that with my own twist

No doubt about it, running an event the night before helps to make a perfect track surface for the next day, Trev Tolhurst is a champion track prepper.

^^^ This.

The only time I've ever broken anything at the drags was after Trev weaved his magic. I wasn't the only one to bust an axle at that meet either. (and I set my fastest 60ft time that day too)

• Like 1

This is true and there is an event on the day before the Kevin Mac in a couple of weeks.

Here is the manifold which has the injection mounts which I will need to drill and then I will be making my own design plenum which will run into either an a 70mm TB which is on it currently or when I increase compression from the current 9.3:1 go to an 80mm TB which should give me a huge boost in torque and top end power as it will make the cam work better.

The last planned upgrade will then be either a 3.9 ratio diff or a 4.1 which I have both ratios in the shed to choose from.

This ratio change I reckon will take around a second off what ever else I have done. so I am aiming at a mid 13 with 3.08 diff but I am loosing so much launch speed I reckon I should pickup around 4/10's on the launch alone and the rest from the actual run.

Rev limit will rise to around 6500rpm which will drop the gear changes down into rev range after peak torque is reached.

It's all theory at the moment but I used this similar principle to get my Torana 202 to run a 12.9and 107mph on 10:1 compression

Intakemanifold_zps7dc0d8a6.jpg