EFI_LC's VR SS Commodore 5.0

EFI_LC

ss-2.jpg

SS-1.jpg

Now as I am about having a bit of grunt under the right foot the first thing I am going to do is increase the HP then look at the other things.

Factory they had 165kW and this one I am told has around 192kW but I want around 265kW so have a bit of work to do.

I took it to the drags today and finished with a 14.887@92.16mph, 60ft 2.210, 1/8 9.512

I have some way to go but am chasing similar performance to my old 202 LC Torana.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only vl turbo and v8 were 28spline the rest were 25spline,

vn onwards get 28spline axles,

el falcon on has the 4 pin 28spline lsd unit that i want as holdens seemed to get alot of 2 pin ones,

they're all interchangable enough to which is good.

Cool thanks. I think a 3.45 would be a perfect mix of street and strip.

The auto is .70 overdrive so I would make 2500rpm about 114km/h as opposed to 128km/h

So giving it a theoretical top speed after I modify the engine of 250km/h and a top speed in 3rd of around 175km/h which would be perfect for the 1/4 and get me looking at 12's at 105-110mph.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I have accumulated a few parts for my transformation and have started pulling the engine apart.

The power parts

Heads are coming off to get ported, valves and springs upgraded.

Going from 65mm throttle body to 70mm, standard Holden injection inlet is 70mm but they reduced it to 65mm in the throttle body

Roller rockers are to come

Street/race cam 3000rpm-6500rpm to match the head work

Cold air box

I now have a Realtime ECU logger/writer using the factory ECU so its plug in and go:

It controls:

:VE (FUEL) TABLES

:SPARK ADVANCE MAPS HI AND LO OCTANE

:REV LIMITER

:COOLING FAN TEMPS

:IDLE SPEEDS

:AIR/FUEL RATIOS

:DIFF RATIO CHANGES

wondered why i hadnt seen it outside your house :) .sounds like your a busy man round there,might have to come have a nosey at some point :P

Yea do that, and have a look at the Busted Knuckle Garage.

Not much to see for a couple-3 weeks until I get the heads back.

Hey cletus, hopefully I am not going to push the injection manifold past its limits, should be good for 400hp and I reckon my revised want is 360hp or 270kW, this is still 100kW over standard and wouldn't stress this engine much at all I reckon.

Once this is done then back to the Chevette and building up a turbo holden 6 for it.

I am waiting to hear if the heads come back from crack testing, I asked the question "will this improve these heads much?"t o Dave who is doing these heads and his answer was "Oh yea by a lot" :) thats what I like.

The stock injectors will be the go at first and I will map the engine with these with both stock fuel rail pressure and again with higher pressure so next on the list is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator which I so happen to have sitting on my shelf in the garage from my EFI setup off my 202 :)

If I find the stockies wanting then I will shop around although I might have to find the ones I bought a while back for another project which I think were a little bigger.

• 7 months later...

So I have been missing in action for a while but Things have been progressing slowly and I have done a major remake on my house which has taken some time away from this, just as well I never sold my NZ new 535i as been a great everyday driver while this has been getting dealt to.

The heads have been cleaned up, ported and very oversize valves inserted to get them breathing even better than ever.

The cam is a billet H70 with nothing too massive in lift but with good torque/power gains.

I hope to get it all together within the month and then start the process of tuning it.

Valve-1.jpg

Head-camcombo.jpg

304-1.jpg

304-2.jpg

304-3.jpg

304-4.jpg

304-5.jpg

304-6.jpg

• 7 months later...

So I have a had a few problems and things definitely turned slower than planned but it has now started to take shape.

I have had some issues with tune and trying to get the Real Time tune working but finally this has been overcome.

A small mod can turn the Factory Holden ECU into a fully tunable ECU in any cylinder combo, n/a, turbo, supercharger configuration.

It also allows the electronic 4-speed auto to be tuned as well.

First attempt on the dyno I couldn't get it to work but when i got home I sat down and tried and finally got it all working so I am now waiting for another attempt.

Untuned and running very flat in the mid-range it made 157kW / 211hp at the wheels. By that night when I finally got to change the tune it feels like i just gave it another 20kW.

Can't wait to get it sorted now and see what this 165kw at the flywheel motor can make now.

rt-tuner-3_zpsf3b85102.jpg

rt-tuner-1_zps2ad98c85.jpg

Whats the deal with tuning the factory ECU? Can it be done with earlier VN ish models too

Yep anything with an AC Delco and you can record a drive then check what it's doing then make changes by writing direct to it.

In actual fact the these ECU's are better than many after market ones

• Like 1