P_Star's Lada of Space Invader!

P_Star

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, pictureless update...

Sill rust/entire sill booked up for replacement (hopefully) next weekend thanks to Chrison8... that message reminded me that that was the worst of the issue so spent some time in the sun today hitting this piece with tools.

I drilled some more holes, front bar is now securely attached so it is once again towable which is half the battle (need to get it to the mud), 4 more holes will see the front recovery hooks ready to rock and roll then a little more fucking about will see the back finished off.

Also need to get on to trimming the bumpstops... whats the best tool for that, I should probably purchase a sabre saw... they look like the business/fun/lazy/always need more cutty tools?

Still need to sell this bloody merc of mine and buy something more suited to towing... at least something with a towbar haha and will be most of the way there.

Rubber bumpstops?

After much experimentation I end up using a hacksaw and making it smooth and pretty looking with a flap disc on the grinder.

I tried cutting them with cutting disc on grinder and it made lots of smoke which was kinda neat I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, couple weeks off work means time to make some actual progress... house sitting my folks place... aka stealing their garage also helps.

So first I had to get the turd across town... first issue for some reason the trailer light/plug setup doesn't seem to work... well... 1 indicator works :/ despite the lights all working in the truck... oh well, problem for later.

Hook it up to the old mans truck and get to towing... odd, heavier than I recall plus truck is breaking traction... might just be the oddly slick damp road cos the wheels are definitely turning on the lada back there... hmmm... why is there smoke coming out of the wheels then?

Oh, I see:

IMG_20121228_235928.jpg

That's not what I wanted to see :/

So pulled up in the bus stop of my old school and unloaded the tools (luckily I was taking them with me too haha)

IMG_20121226_225713.jpg

Pulled off the front wheels, removed calipers, removed pads (bloody good system in the Lada, mega easy job thank fcuk!)... wow, they did get hot, pad material fused to disc... oh well, put everything back together sans pads, farm jack decides it doesn't go down any more... wtf?! get angry, hit base with sledge to drop the lada back to the earth and get back on the road.

Why is it making that clunking noise? Don't worry, that's just the guards eating my new tyres, happened so occasionally I didn't figure out what it was till I saw the big gauges in the tread :/

Finally got it home around midnight, but couldn't drive the piece up the right of way due to needing half hour of warm up and massive hole in exhaust waking up half the planet, gave up, went to sleep.

Got the lump into the garage the next morning and ignored it for a full day and gorged myself on xmas leftovers.

Today, made progress... front guards now hacked off to allow clearance, wish I had done that earlier...

IMG_20121228_235443.jpg

IMG_20121228_145657.jpg

Looking ok I think.

Then drilled some holes and mounted up some front hooks... not the 100% ideal spot for them but the best of the available options for now.

IMG_20121228_235417.jpg

IMG_20121228_235422.jpg

So, now I need to track down a caliper rebuild kit and some new front pads... anyone local likely to stock them or should I just order online and hope they turn up promptly?

Ok, working fairly hard on this for the short time I have access to a garage so here's an update.

Chrison8, legend that he is came over and welded in some fairly serious steel box section into what used to be my sill... i suspect it will be there when the rest of the truck is a memory haha :D

sourced a new new caliper seal kit and replacement master cylinder from good bastard on ORE, these are now fitted and bled and the brakes appear to function as intended... fingers crossed.

Unfortunately while replacing the master, sans thinking I pulled the CLUTCH master instead and proceeded to fill the system with air and had and absolute abortion of a time to get that bled up... finally got it functional again... wasted day pretty much, oh well, think first, then unbolt crap.

All guards are now trimmed up and tyres don't appear to rub... well the fronts rub very slightly on a chunk of chassis but not much I can do about that right now, can either not turn hard lock/ space wheels a bit/ live with it for now it is very minor.

Put a VERY VERY horrid patch on the massive exhaust hole, seems to have shut it up a bit... still leaking though... crackle crackle backfire haha, oh well, better than it was...

Fitted up 3 of the 4 tow hooks (need to go buy a 4th lol) but brackets/mounts are all fitted up. Still pondering bracing for these but will work as is i think for now.

removed the tints from rear window, I think the sides will be ok but it pisses me of not being able to see out the back. Also removed all the decals, stripes and stupid stickers that were on it.

Cut out some more rust and jammed some patches in, covered in newtech and hit with flapper wheel... prep for paint.. done! Like I said, just needs to be functional, not pretty.

Finally gave it a quick sand so I can throw some rust proofing paint stuff at it, more for protection than any particular aesthetic value so will see if that will stick tomorrowish...

/Wall of text.

Pics:

IMG_20121228_145655.jpg

IMG_20130101_164811.jpg

IMG_20130101_164806.jpg

IMG_20130103_184305.jpg

IMG_20130103_184214.jpg

IMG_20130103_235228.jpg

piss. just realised I need to build some replacement panels for the inner guard behind the front wheels, that's no fun :/

Well, mounted the final recovery hook, painted the wheels black, threw some paint I had laying about, pulled all the masking off...

Pre attaching final hook, grill etc

IMG_20130105_182434.jpg

http://s15.photobuck...0105_182511.jpg

IMG_20130105_182526.jpg

Pretty much ready to rumble... hopefully heading out to woodhill next weekend to test it out/will probably break down :/

oh don't worry, half the reason I did such a half assed job (prep/paint etc wise) was because I know my propensity for sliding sideways into trees/over banks/through gorse etc lol

She will be filthy and fucked asap... yes I'm still talking the car... I think...

Haven't had a good play with the tyres yet, was gonna check em out today but i suspect they will bag a bit :)