P_Star's Lada of Space Invader!

P_Star

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found plenty of rust as expected under the expanding foam, and some more in the sills etc but looks like it is all easily enough patchable for the job it will be doing... I am a little worried about what I will find in the shock towers thought...

I have to figure out what I'm gonna do about recovery hooks as the normal deal won't work due to 8 tons of steal used to attach the A-Frame... in fact that rig is going to annoy me fast due to hanging 8 miles under the car no doubt causing it to hang on every obstacle... grrr

I am thinking perhaps a different front bar with hooks and a-frame attached to that? or can I perhaps bolt the hooks to the existing bar... hmmm... pics just because they are fun?

Rust "repairs"

IMAG0851.jpg

IMAG0852.jpg

IMAG0856.jpg

Under the foam:

IMAG0867.jpg

IMAG0855.jpg

IMAG0863.jpg

And in case anyone has suggestions for my Hooks/A-Frame/Bar issues here's the current setup:

IMAG0861.jpg

Turns out the existing bars are 50mm box which happens to be the perfect size to slide into the existing chassis rails so made a start on chopping off the brackets and things that are no longer needed, not done yet but making progress

IMAG0870.jpg

IMAG0871.jpg

IMAG0872.jpg

Will then be able to bolt everything together in a much stronger fashion and mount hooks etc... haven't looked at the back yet but will hopefully be able to do something similar. will likely also trim down the bull bar as it has a ton of weight and isn't really needed on a bush truck i.e. couldn't care less if it gets scratched/bashed/hit by trees etc

Seeing as today seems to be niva update day, here's mine... spent the day with multiple bfh's and cold chisel + sharpened screwdriver to remove them blockages in the chassis I was asking about on Friday... I should probably post my ace ms paint tech diagrams so here they are:

chassis.jpg

BullbarMods.jpg

those things were a bit of a bugger to remove however once I got the first one out(~4hrs) and figured it all out it went much smoother (~40mins). that obstruction seemed to serve absolutely no structural purpose other than to retain the bumper bolt. I will not be using the factory bumpers at all so my bullbar(Horizontal straight 50x50 box) is now mounted with nearly 25cm depth (all the way back to the front suspension bolt(obviously I will leave a bit of leeway for safety))

I haven't bolted it all up as I will try and weld a plug into the far end of the box section as well for a bit more strength and to stop anything pulling. But I think with that length I should be able to run 3 bolts a side through braces, which should make everything fairly sturdy

anyway at the end of today it looks like this:

IMAG0878.jpg

with the box section able to go all the way back to Here:

IMAG0880.jpg

as opposed to essentially a bit forward of the bolt hole visible in same pic.

will pull the back apart tomorrow(today) and see what the story is there but so far, I think so good :)

+ Hammers, and tyres and stuff:

IMAG0884.jpg

yeah it looks a little odd, however it is way stronger and gives far better approach angle than any of the other options...

Has brackets for spotlights in the middle of the bar and as it isn't road going the headlights shouldn't be a major issue but I will take a look at that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, had a sunny day so spent a good few hours on this little guy.

Much chopping of rear barwork to lighten it up and get it out of the way, will be much more minimal that previous, also started welding in some strengthening pieces... no pics of either but as you would expect the work is ugly but will do the job.. a bit like me really :/

Also started chopping away a big chunk of body work at the back/sides, there are a few reasons for this... namely cancer and the need to get the aforementioned barwork up and out of the way.

Pic: I ran out of cutting disks so cutting job unfinished but I'm sure you get the idea.

IMAG0901.jpg

Also just to give you an idea of the previous rust "repairs" here is the front wheel well (looking back toward drivers door) with as much of the Space Invader as I could get to removed :/

IMAG0902.jpg

IMAG0904.jpg

IMAG0905.jpg

And just for entertainment value (and to see what the clearance was like/how much chopping the guards need) I threw the new feet on... looking much more purposeful!

Before:

IMAG0877.jpg

After:

IMAG0908.jpg

IMAG0906.jpg

Also did some sundry shopping/procuring pipe and such for snorkel, cable, connectors, antenna etc for CB random bits and bobs... Need to get more cutting disks so I can make some more noise/progress :D

more or less done trimming the rear, neighbor came over and had a winge about all the grinding lol (really need to get a w/shop somewhere!) so finished that up for the day and welded a panel in to cover the massive hole. No pics of horrid welding but will post some when the rest of the holes are patched up... Pics for you sickos who enjoy lada :P

Before/during:

IMAG0910-1.jpg

After:

IMAG0912.jpg

IMAG0913.jpg

IMAG0914.jpg

still needs some tidying and will need notches cut still for where I want the barwork to end up but progress is being made :)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw that... half tempted to try an make it... I have like a week... or two... that's 2 weekends... aka 4 days... might be doable if I stop being a lazy shit.

I did see that they were talking it up as suitable for shinies... so confused...

it runs... well it ran when I put it up on the stands... I "just" have to finish cutting metal off... welding metal in to cover the holes i have cut... finish with bracing rear chassis so I can rebuild and rear bar (which will just be for mounting hooks), finish bracing front chassis... drill holes, find bolts, mount barwork... build snorkel, install new chairs... potentially purchase new battery... hardly anything really :D lol

Edit: not sure if it stops or not... should probably check that too...