P_Star's Lada of Space Invader!

P_Star

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent about two hours patching previously cut holes and cutting new ones (stupid rust) my welding is still shit... but I have a grinder lol.

Doubt it will actually be ready for this pig farm trip but I am gonna give it a shot.

Pics of holes

New holes:

IMAG0955.jpg

IMAG0956.jpg

IMAG0954.jpg

Old hole fixed (well getting there)

IMAG0957.jpg

IMAG0958.jpg

• 2 months later...

I swear to god if this fucking thing was insured I would have had a "Welding Accident" today and the whole thing would have been up in flames!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUU

Story goes: Sunny day and no other shit to do for a change, patched up some rust that I had been meaning to, cut some stuff off... all in all relatively productive... thought "hmmm, will crawl underneath and have a look at the swaybar thing I am supposed to take off... grab under the sill to pull myself under the truck... hmmm that feels a bit soft... screwdriver... poke, poke, poke.... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

IMG_20120728_172245.jpg

IMG_20120728_172204.jpg

IMG_20120728_172103.jpg

Yup, entire inner sill(?)/rail is essentially gone... odd thing is the outer sill (the white you can see through the hole) is 100% mint... very confused and very pissed off...

Other side is ok, small hole that's easy to fix.

So, Can I cut all this crap out and weld in a section of 50x50x3mm box section? what is the best way to fix/does someone want to donate me a 4x4 from somewhere other than russia?

Cry, yell, tantrum... coffee/cigarette... slowly calming down.

Faaaaahhhhkkkk.

That's not so good.

You may be able to replace with box section, would look icky though.

And you can work on the Fiva instead if you want :D . It's sitting at Dad's doing even less than the standard Lada.

But seriously, if you want to work on the Fiva and have driving rights, but I keep the owning rights that's algood with me!

• 1 month later...

Looks like I will have a new set of sills in the next few weeks which will be grand (Hooray Chrison8). In the meantime I figured I should chop some more things...

So made a start on trimming the guards, cut the first one up went moderately well... managed to go through both skins which I wasn't intending but I am most of the way through rejoining them and the extra clearance looks good. Then I ran out of wire... anyone know what a good brand of flux core mig wire is/best place to get it?

anyway, before and after:

IMG_20120923_144851_zpsb84cc035.jpg

IMG_20120923_175016_zpscab6d8fd.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok, no actual progress but here are some pics because serious lack of updates!

So, I have found a temp solution to my ugly sharp guard hacking... have riveted on some window seal, the old fabric style stuff from a van... I need to find something similar that is a bit wider for a more effective solution

IMG_20121125_200818.jpg

Then while roaming around Pick a Part I spotted a spare wheel carrier on the back door of a Vitara and thought... that could solve my spare storage issue... so mounted it in the boot:

IMG_20121125_200811.jpg

Probably should have taken a pic before I chucked a wheel on there (obviously not the actual spare I will be using haha)

IMG_20121125_200844.jpg

there you go, boring update for the sake of an update... also had some horn arrive courtesy of the Tortronator haha.

IMG_20121129_185302.jpg

Oh... and I bought some new wheels/tyres that should work sans lift meaning I can use the bloody thing sooner rather than later... Pics:

242806885.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and poked the lada with a stick today, fitted up the new rubber... it looks hilariously small after the other setup but looks like it will grip like crazy and everything has much more room... not to mention being significantly lighter.

Pics:

IMG_20121208_144355.jpg

IMG_20121208_144411.jpg

IMG_20121208_144519.jpg

found some more rust... go figure...

I think I have fallen out of love with this whore :(