tapping on ohv (push rod motor)

hmmmnz

hey guys im at a bit of a stumbling block,

my velox has developed a bit of a tap,

i initially thought valve clearances,

so i did them, all were pretty much sweet, one a little tight, one a bit loose,

no change to the tapping,

took it to a mechanic, they seemed to think it was the hole in the exhaust (where the header joins the exhaust proper)

so i changed the header to a set of extractors,

no change,

now this is something new, not just a thing with these engines when i first bought the car it was whisper quiet, on one long trip the exhaust gasket went, and after that was fixed it had the tapping since,

what do you guys think??

Check its nothing silly like an air filter housing hitting the bonnet or a loose fan shroud or fan.

However most the time these tapping noises are actually exhaust leaks.

Easy way to check is to get a piece of hose and put one end in your ear and run the other end around the exhaust - specifically around the head, flanges and welds - you wil hear the noise get much louder when you get near it.

If it is not that then it would be some internal noise and tappets would be the only thing you can adjust - but you have done those. If you haven't set tappets before it is reasonably easy to stuff up and could do with a recheck. However you could be well practiced at this.

Next is its something internal and pretty much anything that causes an internal loud ticking noise requires some degree of stripping down and it would be best to have more than an "over the internet" diagnosis..

Does it increase with revs or load or just at idle?

Does the noise get worse with heat, ie a warm motor?

A few more details about the noise should help in tracking down.

Those motors are pretty simple but a worn small end or a broken valve spring is not unheard of.

Like KK said, check for exhaust leaks first

reminds me of a guy i know who chased a tapping noise for ages including putting new main and big eng bearings in his trans-am, to find out that he had a power steer pump making the noise.

anyway, check accessories such as alternator/generator etc.. using long screwdriver as a poor mans stethoscope.

Could also be a worn rocker shaft?

Shit mate, don't run that no more...

Try draining the oil, collecting all the metal and putting it in the top so it finds its way back..

But seriously, that be worn big end and or gudgeon pin, if you whip off sump and unbolt the big ends or mains you should find your answer.

If your lucky you can get away without a crank grind if it ain't worn grooves or gone oval. Just remember to flust the oilways of metal hardcone before re-assembly. nice car BTW,jealous much.

Alternatively, drop a 3.3 in there with triple SU's, you already have the extractors :)

i dumped the oil yesterday,

no metal in it at all.

i'll head over tothe mechanics today and see what he thinks,

it doesnt sound like the noise if coming from the bottom end,

and it doesnt effect the power at all,

i all else fails, i might have to buy this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =445685577

and steal the motor from it :D

a guy i used to work with rebuilt a old morris 1100 engine for a mate years ago, after he was finished he started it up and it made a taping noise so he pulled it apart, found nothing wrong then put it back together and fired it up...it still made the noise.

long story short, his mate had swapped the dipstick with a longer one and it was rubbing on the crank

get it idling real low with the rocker cover off, slide a 10thou feeler gauge in between the rockers, if loose, needs adjusting, if wont go in- too tight.

Real pro's set valve clearances whilst running, make sure adjuster nut isn't super tight first.

then go and put a large flatblade screwdriver in between the valve spring coil and twist and see if it makes a change to the noise/running

use same screwdriver at motionless places along the rockers and head and put your ear to it, the source of the noise will present itself..

as kk said, how confident are you of your tappet setting ability? (not saying you are shit...)

on an engine that isn't running i'm

as confident as a mechanic i'd say,

i rebuild bikes in my spare time, so no stranger to doing valve clearances,

as for doing clearances when running, thats something ive never tryed

My hiace had a horrible tapping noise that I couldn't work out - it's also pushrod. But in the end it turned out to be the small plate flywheel cover that was a bit dented and was scraping on the flywheel. Think the L200 has the same problem. Hopefully it's something dumb like that.