What turbo to put on an LD28?

buddabeast

Hello.

I want to source the right turbo for my LD28, I think a T3/T04E might be a bit extreme for this low-mid boost application.

I would look to run 5-10psi atleast for a start.

It's a low RPM beast so maybe a <0.5 A/R turbine housing would suit??

What do the L20et's use as their stock turbo? Or RBdet's for that matter?

Any help would be appreciated.

I also fail to understand how a T3/T4 hybrid can be so powerful but a basic T3 or T4 not so much?

Thanks.

Question 1. Is it Auto? If so, slap on some big fucker. Lag is much less of an issue when it's an auto. Something off a truck would be good.

If it's manual you'd want something that spools up faster.

Question 2. This is not a question. 5-10psi can piss off. Run 20.

If you wanna get fancy you could do what I'm doing and get a variable geometry turbo. Diesels love these things. They are a bit more complex due to the vane control system, but it's all part of the fun.

What is your level of turbo diesel knowledge btw?

Can you make the standard fuel supply run harder to compensate for the turbo?

Have an ld28 that I have been considering turboing my self

jsut tweak the fuel screw on the pump. piece of piss.

don't be afraid of boost. over 15psi you'll want and intercooler to help keep the egts down, though.

l20et manifolds accept t3 flange do they not? jsut roll a t3 to start. should be nice and cheap?

Exhaust Gas Temperature.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 951413.htm

Tuning a diesel isn't too difficult really, set the boost to whatever you feel won't melt the turbo, then wind up the fuel till it hovers around 600 degrees at full load up a long hill.

If you're not towing you can usually go a bit higher with the fuel, but 600 seems to be a pretty agreed number to be safe and not melt things. A decent intercooler will help immensly with keeping egt's down.

agree with standard t3, not t3/t4. prob dont want to go too big on the exhaust side either. .48 max i would think.

we run a ht18 with the massive twin scroll exhaust housing on our td42, ended up welding up the wastegate and running truck style. free boosts up to about 17psi. wont go any higher as doesnt have the exhaust gasses to. few dudes we know are running chinese "t3/t4" with similar results. so would be too big for ld28

ended up welding up the wastegate and running truck style.

this is a good idea IMO. means you always run max boost that the amount of fuel will let it produce.

long as you can get a turbo that'll stay together :) guys with td27 terannos and shit seem to jam wastegate shut and get around 30-35psi 8)

but yeah. lots of people around the world play with this engine. read READ READ! as much as you can before you do anything.

I would like to fettle with an ld28T someday.

PLan B.

Fit a dirty old eaton M90.

With diseasels running no throttle body, the pump would continually supply whatever boost your choice of pulleys denote.

So as you apply the right foot, you'll have all the torque you could ever need on demand. (with zero lag)

TBH, I'm still getting my head around how diseasels actually work. But I prefer supers to turbos any day.

There's no throttle body pritty sure so fuel will do what it needs to?

I can't adjust the fuel pump anyway can't see how/.

Oh yea nissandiesel forum cheers forgot that one. But oldschool.co.nz is always the first resort.

T3 turb sounds good. I'll get one of those - external if I can.