new tyres feel vague and wobbly at speed- this normal?...

yoeddynz

• 2 weeks later...

^tyres quite often feel yuck till they're bedded in especially if they are a non sort after size,

my hankook ventus 195 45 14's were the same needed 100-200k to bed in and start feeling good ie responsive / grippy,

i'd say they'd been on a shelf in a warehouse for quite some time

I have not seen that article, but I checked mine by getting the wheels as close to 'pointing straight ahead' then putting 2 tacks into my tyres and measuring the distance between em with string.

Push the car BACKwards so the tacks rotate 180 degrees then measure the distance between em again.

Simple but quite effective

yoeddy - after talking to friends at tyre shops, they always recommend that people take it easy for the first 300km while the tyres "wear in". I think they have a shiny outer layer that takes a while to wear through.

If you want to do your own alignments, don't bother with a jig - they're silly. All you want is a set of aluminium "plates" with two tape measures for toe and an angle finder for the camber / castor. PM me if you want illustrations.

sweet. I can picture what you mean but yeah a photo would be cool. Chuck it here.

If I cruise along and let go of the steering wheel it the car will stay straight but when there are ridgelines and undulations it'll pull. But no bumpsteer feeling at the wheel.

Too much toe out?

I still think it self steers at the rear axle due to soft bushes and am currently doing my best to source cheap bushes- cause I'm cheap.