Flibois 20valve aw11

BlownCorona

Best bet if you're concerned about oil pressure is get an aftermarket gauge and plug that in. Once you see what it is actually doing you can use the in-dash one as a general guideline.

Most likely someone will have an old mechanical one lying around they can lend you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

well before you do work to the engine I would suggest you get a working and accurate gauge on there so you know for sure where your oil pressure lies - otherwise you're just going to run more bearings if it ends up being your oil pump/oiling system at fault.

well before you do work to the engine I would suggest you get a working and accurate gauge on there so you know for sure where your oil pressure lies - otherwise you're just going to run more bearings if it ends up being your oil pump/oiling system at fault.

yeah will do, i probably shouldnt run it with the fucked bearing to check pressure should i? so this is for when i restart it later?

• 1 month later...

oh man

just watched your videos, scary, was waiting for it to go bang.

would completely strip it to check it out properly, its probably full of bearing bits now which may have blocked oil galleries etc

might be cheaper/easier to slam a complete second hand engine in?

^ what exactly can you hear that made you think it was so bad? im fairly new to this in depth engine repair and dont have an ear for things yet.

the engine is about 80% stripped down now, just saw the crank and im not too pleased at all with the surface on #2 journal so i think the block will be coming out and the crank will follow the rod into the machine shop (or a good 2nd hand one sourced)

roughly what will it cost to have the rod and crank machined?

it sounds knocky all thru that road test video. but the most noticeable times that you can hear are when it is at higher rpm than idle, but low load, ie a throttle blip or when you are going round an intersection. if you listen at these parts, you can hear it clearly.

1.44- 2.02

2.17-2.20

3.03- end

ahh yes i see, thanks that's actually very valuable knowledge now,

the bearing failed shortly after that road test, so i would hazzard a guess that it was half fucked already.

edit: how the hell did i miss that bit going up the drive? even i know thats bad knocking, guess i always switched off by then :?

What Cletus said.

It will have so much crap inside the oil gelleries etc that you need to do a full strip down, clean and remachine where required.

What's an import engine worth?

I couldn't listen to all that video I was expecting to hear something quit in the first 60 seconds.

Even the buy now is a good price if its as good as they say. I bought my 1st 20 valve for $750 and the 2nd for slightly less as I recall.

Mine runs really sweet (so im told) and is a really tidy conversion so if you want to check it out/compare I'd be more than happy to drag it out of the shed for you just flick me a pm etc

hmm i txt the guy asking to buy for 300 cash today since i was out of the county on the 15th.

never got a reply but just checked the auction and he edited it to end on the 14th, i assume this was intended for me, but still doesn't help the fact that i have no time to organize picking it up, and i dont have $550 to spare :?