54 Chevy

lobrow

Talkin shit is what the internet is about so go nuts...

Keen to hear some feedback, input on my chevy,

Currently looking for a front steer powersteer rack, looking for options, mk5 cortina power rack would be ideal but hard to come by, maybe Pinto? Isuzu Piazza?

Around 1150mm overall width. Any ideas?

Going to get it driving, certed as a 4 door, probably drive it a few years, then close up the rear doors and maybe chop it, mild chop, something like this, slanted b pillars, maybe some caddy sombrero caps, few mild custom touches....

54007.jpg

Hey,

The upper four link mount on the chassis side could do with some gussets,

The subaru RA rack is nice, 2.4 turns, about the right length might work for you, there are two kinds of subaru racks a rare'r one which takes the feed/turning motion from the underside is the one I'm on about. Sometimes you can get a smaller rack say, 40-70mm short, and have longer rack ends made up to account for the difference.

if your going to roof chop it, and weld up the back doors, ... now would be the time to do it. If you wanna do it later down the track then you'd be wreaking a paint job, and having to re-do alot of things.

Have you thought about mildly tubbing the rear to get some nice 265's under the guards ?

Looked at the lower, front side, suspention mount, thought .. hmmm .. that really needs a gusset on the uprising engine mount

love ya work, so well done, you've really go some skills there mate, but hey, the drop axle welder really says it all doesnt it :P

love your car mate, there's a guy on onsills.com who's building a bagged 50 4 door, i'll try and dig up a link so you can check out his build.

actually, here it is. he's in the process of moving out of his workshop into a house so there hasn't been much progress lately, he does some killer metalwork though

http://onsills.com/onsills08/phpBB3/vie ... d11d313401

cheers

Matt

Cheers fullas...

As for the motor, haven't bought one yet but most likely be a mild 350, cheap, plenty of parts and easily to rebuild and it just looks and sounds right :D, not bothered about going fast with this car, would like to do a few big road trips with it, beach hop etc, Some sort of decent fuel mileage would be a bonus :lol: .

The upper four link mount on the chassis side could do with some gussets,

The upper arm mounts are getting redone, both diff and chassis side, once I finally get around to spinning up some new bushing housings.

The subaru RA rack is nice, 2.4 turns, about the right length might work for you, there are two kinds of subaru racks a rare'r one which takes the feed/turning motion from the underside is the one I'm on about. Sometimes you can get a smaller rack say, 40-70mm short, and have longer rack ends made up to account for the difference.

Thanks for that, another guy recommended subaru racks, Might just have to go to a wrecker one day and have a scavenge round to see whats going to work.

As for roof chopping....... hmmmm its a big job, and easily screwed up if you dont know what your doing. Screwing up paint doesnt bother me, Ill be painting and doing all the sheetmetal work myself. Maybe a few years down the track when I get a bigger garage.... and I chop something else for practice, anyone care to donate something?? :lol:

Tubbing is on the "to do" list, Pretty much cutting the floor out from the rear seat back and redoing it, I have to raise the wheel wells to get my 27.5" tall tyres tucked up in there, so just making new tubs. I need to put the body back on the chassis before cutting large hunks of sheetmetal out of the floor.

It doesn't need big boots to look badass in my opinion, Im only ever going to run 15" steelies with whitewalls...

wheel.jpg

Wide whites will be on there once I want to spend $400 a tyre. I got those 4 NEW bfgoodrich tyres above off trademe for 2 hundy, Bargain!!

Looked at the lower, front side, suspention mount, thought .. hmmm .. that really needs a gusset on the uprising engine mount

Not quite sure what you mean by "uprising engine mount"? there is no engine mounts on there yet.

The only other gusset Im putting on is for the lower lca rear mount, like this one......

310538_10150859690485145_529255144_21170577_1502463273_n.jpg

Just havent got around to it because I want to flip the chassis to do it along with a few other things.

I got the design for the crossmember off a suspension god(In my opinion) on The HAMB, Elpolacko is his user name, his stuff is mother effin impressive http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/.

Also the likes of Art morrison chassis's, Heidts crossmembers don't run any other gussets on there lca's so I think it will be all good.

0910clt_12_zart_morrison_enterprises_ifs_front_clip_installart_morrison.jpg

Thanks for that, another guy recommended subaru racks, Might just have to go to a wrecker one day and have a scavenge round to see whats going to work.

> I'll try to remember to ask my mate which one it is that he gave, why it's worth like $500, and .. which model it came from.

Thats all good, yeah that extra support on the crossmember has been brought up on several forums. Pretty much all aftermarket Mustang II kits dont have any extra support there, Fatman Fabrication kits aren't even legal in NZ, probably because of this, there crossmembers(similar to the other pic above) are only welded to the bottom of the chassis rail, has sweet fuck all support under braking, twisting, cracking crossmembers.

Basically Im just adding another gusset like this to mine to spread the load...

00024.jpg

Probably not that keen on a $500 steering rack, Its not a race car, and ill still like some FEEL of driving, Ill check out a few other subaru racks though, Ill most likely have to change tie rods on most racks to suit my spindles, so Ill probably have to shorten or lengthen either way.

Cheers

Thats interesting about the fatman stuff. A guy locally recently had some fatman fabricated spindle uprights certified and I was considering some myself. Are you building your ride to suit a certain period? Be good to see it on some wide white cross ply's! NZ needs more traditional customs.

I talked to Wayne Martin whos the local cert guy a couple years back before I built the crossmember, I was considering buying fatman stuff because I had heard good stuff on The HAMB, Wayne let me know that any of there controls arms would have to be crack tested before cert, and there crossmembers where a bit weak. Heidts stuff was lvvta approved so I went with them. Surely enough more searching and reading, came across some people with faults with fatman stuff, then a few more, mainly just cracked crossmembers due to poor design. Plus with our roads they would get a punishing(definitely here in chch now, :lol: ). Not worth the risk.

I haven't heard/read anything about there dropped uprights.

As for traditional, Ive got radials for it now, I cant say Ive driven on cross ply's so cant really compare. From what Ive read Ill probably stay with radials, I honestly think maybe 1 out of 10 people would notice, and at the end of the day does it really matter? comfort/safety vs looks?

The rest of the car will be traditional...ish, mild custom touches, suede paint, flake/lace roof(maybe), simple, no billet and driven regularly.

• 9 months later...