Boost control: LINK LEM G3 or Greddy EBC, etc

zep

I want to get some control of the boost my car is making. The LEM G3 has the ability to run an auxilary boost controller, but I'm not sure how well this fares compared to an off the shelf Greddy type unit.

Has anyone had experience with this? The LINK way would be much cheaper, but which is better?

Cheers

Are you running G4 software on the G3? I'm pretty sure the newer G4 software can do closed loop boost control where I don't think the G3 can. A lot of the cheaper electronic boost controllers around use the same solenoid as what is usually used with the Link.

I had a HKS EVC in my car but took it out to use the Link.

if not going to use any of the new features of the g4 software. i wouldn't bother with the upgrade. especially if car is setup and tuned nicely already. was over 200 when i did the upgrade on mine, and messed up a few things when i done it. g4 is nice but not much point if you don't need it

open loop seems to be much the same between g3 and g4. tbh i haven't bothered with closed loop on a g4 yet, as the open loop works fine and easy to setup.

The car has been tuned, but not for the new turbo and I'm anticipating a new head/cam setup in the near future, so I'm waiting for that. Might just stick with the G3 at the moment.

What do I need to buy to take advantage of that?

interesting, will try it if tps mode fails me.

for zep:

i did this choice ms paint for some dude awhile back. if you want to run different boost settings. rather than run run a pot, use a rotary switch. then you can use each click to select a different boost target rather than guessing with a pot

from top left clock wise

5v out from ecu

ground

analog volt input to ecu

the blue things are 200ohm resistors,

should give you 6 switch points

boostswitch.jpg

and we are looking at the back of this

productLarge_4199.jpg

or if you want real simple, just put a switch on the boost solenoid to turn it off and revert back to wastegate pressure

I think the second way is how I wanna do it. High and low setting (wastegate and solenoid). Do you have the link tuned for each setting or do you just hope it knows to add more fuel and change timing a tad?

I'm still kind confused as to what bits I need to pick up? I will run a two way switch (basically wastegate, and more boost). Is there a particular solenoid I need? Do I wire the switch up to the link and also the solenoid?

need one of these. should be able to pick one up a bit cheaper if you look around

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 842435.htm

simplest way to do it, would be to wire out from a spare aux output on the link to the solenoid, connecting to either wire. then run 12v+ (key on) to a switch. then to the other wire on the solenoid. the switch will just break the circuit and disable the solenoid. = waste gate pressure low boost.

you could wire the switch to the link and control it that way. but more just more messing around.

best to keep the solenoid close'ish to the wastegate. just away from the heat

Awesome, cheers guys.

I've got a feeling that the people who installed my ECU already put the AUX lines in, as there are a few unused plugs lying around (under the dash and in the engine bay). Can I easily test these to see if they are the right bits?

the link wires are all colour coded. but you will want to double check you have the right cable with multi meter or something. just in case they are joined along the way.. if you have some spare wires in the engine bay, should be able to find the same cable at the ecu plug. see what pin its connected to, refer to the link manual. from memory any aux will do the boost solenoid, so any spare should do.