Diagnosing blue smoke

keltik

Hai all. Im having some trouble with the wagon, i realise that its not strictly oldschool - but you fellahs are probably the most technically minded active forum im a member of. The Subaru club forums are just fucking useless and will tell me to check silly things that dont even apply. I honestly will get better answers here! Plus, I want to buy a particular oldschool vehicle, but cant really do that if i need to spend all of my currently available cash on the daily driver.

Rightyho, so a week ago when the weather picked up i started driving around with the windows down and could sniff out just a tiny whiff of burning oil. I recently split a rear CV boot and figured it was that so just ignored it. Anywhoo - had Vintage Grumble following me on the weekend with his Go-Pro and he showed me that my car is actually burning a bit of oil.

Further examination reveals the following;

* Runs fine, maybe a smidge rich at times

* Doesnt smoke significantly under load, even high rpm full load

* Has never used any oil before in its life and if it IS using oil now - its not enough to notice yet

* Smokes a lot when you get back on the throttle after coasting for a bit

* Smokes more the longer you coast for

* Isn't a PCV fault as the problem repeats even with all breathers unhooked

* Doesnt appear to have blow-by issues since the breathers dont vent under load.

This problem has developed relatively quickly, ive only noticed it in the last week and its quickly gone from being a small problem to turning the road blue at the bottom of the mokoroa gorge. Its got over 200,000kms on this motor now and 120,000kms of those were at full throttle under my foot....so im not exactly suprised its showing signs of age.

Im thinking valve guides?

Yeah sadly, bumper is getting turned to a oily sooty shitmess. Comes on strong as soon as i hit the throttle at the bottom of a hill. Fuck if i have to pull the heads off this thing the motor is getting binned. So not worth rebuilding.

Mildly ironic considering a week ago i wanted to drop in the newer motor.....now i might need to.

Fuckin' Peugeots......lols

Well lets see, forgive me for thinking out loud for a second but someone might chime in with something useful;

If stem seals are in need of replacement, that would require heads off. Heads off would require engine out, new head gaskets, new intake gaskets, chain assembly and cover removed. Removing the timing chain would be bad because i couldnt reinstall it in good conscience with worn chain guides. I would then feel compelled to do the water pump and idlers at the same time. So im looking at least $800 in parts to get the current motor overhauled to a satisfactory standard.

Or replace with a newer 2008 spec motor with waaaay more power and 100,000 less kms on it for approx $1500. Spend an hour or 2 on the dyno to retune then sell the old motor to recoup costs.

Or drive it into the ground and be a cunt ruining the environment.

Wrecker man is getting back to me shortly with a price on basic longblock and intake. Will swap all my current ancillaries onto new motor. Most stuff should be identical since they only differ in the heads. Sensors are the same etc.

If he can do it for less than $1500 delivered...it will be engine swap time this weekend. Will flick the old motor on for a cheap price and someone will get a pretty good deal i reckon.

I lol at changing a engine because of valve stem seals, stupid subarus! Usually can be done in place with the head on bud, but I guess you dont have the room. You can still leave the heads on, just us compressed air (bit of nylon rope if you are hory) to keep the valve up, you will also need some spring compressors that are capable fo doing th job with the head on. But yea cam chain etc will be a pain

Push stick engines are super awesome in this regards, its usually easy as shit to do them in place

Yeah i mean im all for Boxer engines, i really do love em. But doing anything on the heads in car is just a cunt. Especially when youve got 24 valves worth of shims being supported by magic once you whip the cams out.

I guess this isnt the only reason i'd change the engine, i was wanting to do it anyways. If i actually liked the motor i would have no trouble spending the dough to spruce it up. But after 4 years of people saying "oh youve got the gay spec one....." Im keen to do it.

Hmm...yes i think i see it.

Drivers side bank;

img0041rw.jpg

Passenger side bank;

img0042vn.jpg

Plug number 1 on the passenger bank was wet with oil. 2 and 3 are a bit gunky but not as bad.

Also....that was a slightly cunty job, but im willing to bet nowhere near as hard as a transverse v6