Holden 202 with dry fuel lines

ryanfels

Hey chaps

So ive had this VH holden in my garage for the past month in a half while ive put a manual in it. I went to start it today after sitting for the whole time and after cranking for maybe a minute in total, nothing. Check for spark, sweet. Check for fuel, nothing.

The lines have zero fuel from the body hard line all the way up to the carb, nothing in the bowl at all.

The owner said he put gas in before he dropped it off and the gauge is reading half. (thinking as i type this that i should really check the tank myself).

Is there a reason why the petrol has disappeared? Do i need to prime it? (i have next to zero experience with carbs)

As the title says, its a standard Holden 202 motor

Cheers

the fuel pumps are a cunt to prime on these - best way is to get a fuel container and tip a small glug down the carb and crank it - engine should fire sweet and it will fill the fuel lines fairly quickly - you may have to do it 3 or 4 times..

its a bit of an agricultural method but works infinitely better than trying to prime it with the starter motor..

could do it with engine start/ether too but that shit it spensy as, unless you have some sitting round on the shelf.

These electric fuel pumps or the engine driven ones like on a red 202?

Its an engine driven one.

the fuel pumps are a cunt to prime on these - best way is to get a fuel container and tip a small glug down the carb and crank it - engine should fire sweet and it will fill the fuel lines fairly quickly - you may have to do it 3 or 4 times..

its a bit of an agricultural method but works infinitely better than trying to prime it with the starter motor..

could do it with engine start/ether too but that shit it spensy as, unless you have some sitting round on the shelf.

Sweet, cheers KK. Ill give that a go after work

if theres no one way valve the fuel can run back to the tank..

had a workmate who had a lada do that every time he used it,he had to crank it for ages before it got fuel to the pump..

do you have a compressor???

take the fuel line off the carb side of the fuel pump

put your hand over the fuel fill hole thinngy and blow some air in there

seen it done before,it pushes the fuel through...you shouldnt cause any leaks cos your hand wont make a good enough seal to do that

How long has it been since the motor ran?

I once saw the fuel pick up removed from a '65 chrysler imperial. When compressed air was applied to the line, a 6 inch long sausage of degraded fuel mud oozed out. If it's blocked like that, even your mum couldn't suck gas through it.

Although chances are the juice has just drained back.

Definately try KK's idea.