New chassis or old chassis?

RT

starting to be tempted by a new project to build a ratrod and I want to know whether it is easier to use an original chassis or dump a body on a l200 ute chassis or something.

I'm aware that if you do the latter you have to register it as 'scratch built 2011' which means you have to have a bunch of shit that you wouldn't on a pre-34 car. Gay stuff like window wipers and brakes.

Problem is that some pre-34's have a lightweight chassis that wouldn't pass a cert for a v8 and I don't really know what the definition of a lightweight chassis is. How do you know if it's going to up up to it or not?

I don't care about handling or performance, just doing it for cheap with least amount of effort for re-vin / cert. thoughts?

I personally would start with an L200, hilux chassis etc. Dont let the worry of havng to build it as a scratch built put you off. At least starting with a chassis like that you have your steering, brakes, suspension sorted.

if you ever want your rod to look good I wouldn't start with a ute chassis.

Also if you actually found a sweet old chassis you can easily strengthen it up for a cert, but old tin is worth a fortune these days unless you are super lucky. Maybe buy a kit-set 32 etc chassis ( they are pretty cheap), needs to have a beam front end to look sweet IMO.

What are you thinking for the body?

yeah I really do want the old look ideally.. my original plan was a pre-34 something, anything really. Looking at a 29 Chev sedan. Chop it in half and turn it into a 2-door, chop roof and notch the original chassis and put it back on the road as a 29 chev.

Not sure if it would be smarter to get it back on the road in original condition and re-vin it without mods.. and then chop it up.

Just would suck to get the car and do a whole lot of work on it for Wayne to tell me the chassis is too light and won't cert it. I don't know what too light means.

well people box old chassis all the time so if you can find a old rust free chassis for good money I'd be on it.

You can get a 32 style (or later) ford chassis in a flat pack here in Australia for ~$1500 and they look tops. You would have to be confident you could weld it and keep it straight. Different beam front setups run in all sorts of different price ranges basic 32 I beam kit is $700 and go up from there. You can then run any diff you are keen on, leaf or 4 link. Shit adds up pretty expensive quick though I guess

Have a look at my build, piece of piss....... cross sprung looks cool, handles like a bucket of shit...Got the NZHRA book?, you need that first, before even comtemplating building a chassis. We BUILD racecars from scratch, decided its a fuck sight easier to use a ute chassis, and 4 link the arse (if you are so inclined), us, we are using custom shortened leaves just to prove it can be done cheaply and easily, next up is a bedford k series cab built into a coupe, with , yes, another L200 underneath, but powered by 350 chev. Check out killbillet.com,and ratrodsrule.com for inspiration. Remember yanks dont have rules like us........

just doing it for cheap with least amount of effort for re-vin / cert.

Ute chassis......4x2 or prefabbed rails look awesome, dont get me wrong, but the hassles from the certifier can be a problem, crack testing welds, dont like your gussetts, whatever. The book says additional k members HAVE to be incorporated if performance dynamics are significantly changed, Reason I went this way, is its all done, no tricky angles to figure out. And look what mine owes me, just over a grand with engine and body....

Nothing to say you cant just build your own chassis, it is what has been done with my build.

You find the body you want and then design the chassis round that. I am also not a huge fan of going the ute chassis way, but that is just personal choice.

Also you will be amazed at the stuff you dont need to have on your vehicle if you build from scratch. If you are worried about having to have windscreen wipers, then the easiest thing to do is dont have a windscreen but have a wind deflector 8)

cheers - gives me something to think about. I don't really want to fuck around trying to make my own chassis and steering etc. My original plan was to find a pre-34 something and cut it up. I would prefer something old and clunky.. horse&cart suspension all round. Maybe I'll just check with wayne first to make sure the chassis is heavy duty enough to get a cert with a v8.

Been looking on trademe for ages but yet to find the perfect contender. Ideally a 2-door something, pickup or coupe.. pre '34 with a non rusty chassis and at least one sheet of paperwork or old plates or re-vin is a nightmare.

boxing in the chassis jon is pretyy easy as long as its in good condition with plenty of steel to weld to.but that could be said for the whole build.

i know you want the old origanal feel to it (and im ith you on that) but there is alot to be said for using a ute chassis as it has all the brakes ,steering and suspention alrady to go.and with the old chassis you may have to have brakes,steering ect all rebiult.