Archetype's Pro7 Mazda RX-7 race car

Archetype

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cage is between wheels, so no, not really.

I'm going to be a dick here and throw some maths around. See example calc below:

maths_zps6cc43483.jpg

If you add weight to the center of the car, it will move bias to the lighter end based on percentages.

man you talk some crap :lol:

Brent, when you weigh the car at the track is it with corner weights? How do these cars balance up? I imagine there'd be a little bit of time in getting it as close to 25% on each corner as possible, which probably wouldn't be too hard if you are already under the minimum weight and haven't even removed glass or cut up the hatch. You could pull some weight out of the body of the car, then remove as much weight out of the front and add ballast low and towards the back of the car.

Yes, it was weighed with corner weights. I can't remember the figures off the top of my head, but from memory it was pretty well balanced. Not an even 25% at each corner, but a good cross weight that made the car nicely balanced overall. Dean McMillan (Pro7 champ for the last 2 years) took my car for a laps at Manfeild with me in the passenger seat, and he was quite impressed with the way the car felt. He said the only thing it lacked was power and straight line speed.

I'll have a look through my notes to see if I wrote down the corner weights so you ladies can relax a bit.  :-D

• Like 1

I haven't seen it in person, but it looks pretty tidy in the photos. Brand new paint job too. If I was getting involved in Pro7 racing, I'd probably just buy that car rather than building one, as you couldn't build something like that for the asking price of $11,000. The engine has Series 5 rotors which are technically illegal for the Pro7 class, but it was built before the rules changed so it's allowed to run until the engine needs a rebuild.

Strange that the listing doesn't mention anything about Pro7.  :doubt:

I'd almost be tempted in buying it just for the parts if I was allowed to swap the motor into my car.

Dude. Stop it.

One post. "These are 50/50", the next "OH YEAH BRO, THESE ARE REAR HEAVY BECAUSE OF ALUMINIUM!"

This isn't Rotahavik, Mike. Quit shooting your psuedo knowledge mouth off.

I have angered the almighty, 1,000 apologies your grace.

Still sitting on the fence as to which direction you will take this Brent?

I'm not sure if I'm still sitting on the fence, so I guess that means I still am.  :doubt:  :-D

I think the first round of the new season is on Labour weekend again (26th/27th Oct), so it's time to start doing something about it if I want to do all rounds.

Driving it last week was quite motivating.  8)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm using the RX-7 in all the Fiat Club Waikato Tarmac Series events at the moment, as well as the odd Hamilton Car Club event too.

I'm getting plenty of track time in the car, which is great. Time's ticking along pretty quickly though, and I need to have a fresh engine for the upcoming 2013/2014 Mazda Pro7 Racing Series. If anyone knows of a donor engine that I can use for a rebuild over the coming months, it would be much appreciated.

WTB advert here:

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39314-wtb-13b-engine-from-a-series-6-8-mazda-rx-7-hamilton

• 1 month later...

The car has been getting plenty of use over the last 2 months.

Motorkhana at Hampton Downs, then an autocross a few weeks later:

9000743397_99a40bdfbe_o.jpg

9000744639_e3a10d2a7d_o.jpg

Sainsbury Road hillclimb a couple of weeks ago, where I finished 5th out of 30:

2013_fiat_club_waikato_sainsbury_road_hi

Dual sprints at Hampton Downs this past weekend, where I finished 9th out of 45:

dual_sprints_at_hampton_downs_11.jpg

Had some fun with this Honda Civic:

dual_sprints_at_hampton_downs_13.jpg

I've got a few in-car videos that I still need to upload to YouTube. I picked up a 95% finished trailer on Tuesday too, so I won't need to borrow another trailer again, hooray!

Thanks to Markku for lending me his one for the last 2 events. I'll drop it off as soon as you want me to.  :-)

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

So my engine died at the test day at Hampton Downs today. Second lap of the first session and it started misbehaving, cruised around on the third lap and came in after the fourth, but it was too late.

Suspected water seal(s), which was a bit of a surprise. A bit gutted that I missed this round at my favourite track, and I won't be able to race at Taupo over Easter weekend.

I was really hoping to get through this season with a tired engine - not a dead engine. Not actually that annoyed about it though, as it means I have more time to upgrade the car now.

So it's decision time:

- Rebuild engine, upgrade to full Pro7 Plus spec, and dominate all

- Wait a year and out the money towards our property/house that we want to buy within the next 12 months

- Race my unused Honda Civic race car instead