Cam's Toyota AE86 Trueno Racecar - Yes, Another One!

Ned

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the comments!

I worked on this every day for 5 weeks straight so I have a lot of material to post up. As for anyone thinking about buying a racecar - DO IT. Holy shit it's fun. And not having to worry about driving it to work on Monday means you can break it and still enjoy the rest of your weekend :D

As for what happened to the motor; I still need to take some photos. John (CXGPWR) and Ned gave me a hand to pull the motor out and we pulled it down on Tues night. I was worried that I was going to have pistons smeared all up the bores due to overheating but it looks like (to my untrained eye) it's oil starvation as the big end on cyl 4 is completely stuffed. The pistons should be reuseable and they're they only fancy bit in the bottom end so it's not the end of the world. Should have some photos up tomorrow - the damage is pretty impressive haha.

I love speed holes.

You do great work.

Come finish my car.

Haha I caught the speed holes bug from UJ, and thanks! I'll come and finish your car just as soon as I've got my other one running (the one in my sig). That's been 6 years so far so another 6 and it may actually be a car again :)

^ lol

What type of spotweld drills do you use? I need to start removing some unrequired steel from my Vectroid precage.

The one I have is a Bordo drill. Think it's 8mm. I saw a sweet video somewhere on youtube a while ago that shows you how to grind your own from normal bits. Doubt I can find it now though.

If your car has the early block, it may have the early oil pump, and they have been known to fail/crack the ring thing in them. They dont like high rpm all the time/sometimes people cut the counter weights off the crank and the extra vibration can cause them to fail.

Thats if the oil starvation was caused by pump failure. And if there was indeed oil starvation.

Lush, your posts are making this friday morning more bearable. Very interested in the galv process, does he have a set up to anodise aluminium?

He may or may not, but i have all the gear to do anodiseing aluminium! Its a fun process for sure!

• 1 year later...