1UZ - fuel consumptioness.

Vintage Grumble

You people out there that have 1uz powered items, i'm trying to gauge how much gas one of these would use on the open road. I'm looking at getting a vvti version, so guess it would be slightly better on gas than the older version. Also, im guessing by the comp ratio, you would need to run them on 96? I just want an idea on this as it will be in my daily and doing about 500km a week.

Any info would be chursome.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mainly open road must be able to be cruised at 11km/l or similar,

ie anything with cubes/power loves gas once leant on,

as ky says also a bigger motor has more torques and can happily push a taller diff which will bring

those revs down.

Yeh, I will go for as low a final as I can use, im sure it would be happy doing 2K or so at 100kmh. The lux must only weigh about 1200kg also, so must be a good 400kg lighter than what the motors normally push?

The 12R is using about 9.5L of 91 per 100km at the moment. I'm hoping if I cruze along with the 1uz it will use somewhere around 10/11L per 100km, only diff being that I would have to run 96. So my weekly gas bill will hopefully only go from (by todays prices) $90 to $100, and I will go from 90hp on tap to 290hp.

In my coon I sit at 2k at 110kmh approx. Open road driving is around 5L/100km on dead flat, average approx 9 or so. Around town is a different story though - average 14L/100km, 4 speed auto box with long 1st gear doesn't help I don't think.

Think diff is 3.6?

Edit: possibly as low as 3.23, there's a few different options (between sub models) now that I read online

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1UZ can average less than the 12R on just pure open road driving. It's a much more modern and efficient motor which would have a better transmission behind it, and in a much lighter vehicle than it was initially intended for.

If you're worried about the cost switching from 91 to 95, then perhaps maybe not a good idea to undertake the 1UZ conversion which would probably take years of driving to make up for the cost of the conversion.

If you get a vvti one you will either have to buy a complete front cut or get a link.

They have security coded key and heaps of other under dash security which a wrecker never bothers to remove and send the key etc

Atm vvti is damn expensive. I would just go with a second generation non vvti. Can be had for $1500 instead of 3k and would be ideal for a dirty old lux.

Think diff is 3.6?

Edit: possibly as low as 3.23, there's a few different options (between sub models) now that I read online

I highly doubt.

It will probably be 3.8 or 4.1

Have you got a photo of the chassis ID tag that has trim and diff code etc?

Think diff is 3.6?

I highly doubt.

I think he's talking about his coon.

Think diff is 3.6?

I highly doubt.

I think he's talking about his coon.

Ah I see, sorry, skim reading.

Yeah those things are like 1:1, jealous.

14inch wheels with no sidewall is going to play havoc with gearing with my uzi.

Over drive on the UZ box is ~.62 so real sweet, sort out what diff you have and tyre size and you'll be able to figure cruising revs easy.

Pretty sure one will easy get better fuel consumption than the 12R

Also as philly said fuel ecomonomics shouldnt mean shit when you are spending a couple G at least on the swap. Buy a Alto etc

I'm sure the conversion has been done a trillion times before, but will keep researching to see if there any problem areas. One thing with the lux is that the steering box is rite in the front of the engine bay which is good, I know a lot of ppl have trouble with the exhaust pipes rumbling with the steering boxes.

Also, i'm not doing the conversion to save gas, if I was, I wouldnt be using a 4L V8, i've just wanted to put one of these motors in something for years. And i'm not buying another Alto .... ever.

I just wanted to know what I can expect the gas consumption to be like, by the sounds of things around 10-11L/100kmh?

It is interesting tho, that my olds VT, with its 3.8L V6 can get 8L/100kmh, and it weighs about 1800kg. You would think a motor thats only 200cc bigger, and from around the same time, in a much lighter car should do better? Mind you, ppl dont normally put 1uz's in things to drive like nana's I guess.

Also, Mr Simon, I did not think about the security/key shit with the vvti 1uz, thanks for the heads up. I know this is a big problem with ppl putting the holden ecotech v6's in shit, you have to get the ecu's reflashed or pissed about with to run them dont you? Wonder if anyone can do this to the 1uz ecus? Was hoping to stick motor and box in and run it all as std to save time/money. I know a few inputs will have to be fooled to get it to run correctly anyhow.

as much as I hate to say it, the 3.8 V6 is good in terms of low fuel consumption, but mind you it is only putting out 120-150kW depending what series it came from. I would say with the UZ in the lux you would average 10-11L/100, with getting as low as 7-8 on open road. Ask Jeff what kind of economy he's getting from his UZ waka, I would imagine it would be very similar.

uzi's are very fuel efficient for a 4l 200kw motor.

Re security - pretty much I was reading up hard and you're screwed with the factory ecu if you don't have the ignition barrel, key and code reader under the dash.

Also there is all the shit like auto central locking for security that needs to be wired into the factory vvti ecu to work otherwise it thinks someones trying to steal it.

General consensus with vvti is after market ecu is always necessary.

You must of had a bad run with that Alto man lol.

I'v done 35k in mine and only chainged oil, adjusted tappets and new front pads.

Got to do a cam belt and clutch soon which I suspect is possible in about half and hour.

as much as I hate to say it, the 3.8 V6 is good in terms of low fuel consumption, but mind you it is only putting out 120-150kW depending what series it came from. I would say with the UZ in the lux you would average 10-11L/100, with getting as low as 7-8 on open road. Ask Jeff what kind of economy he's getting from his UZ waka, I would imagine it would be very similar.

I did, but then 5macks pointed out his odometer dont work, so we believe he is just making shit up.

I would ask Simon from the bay, but im sure he drifts/b-outs everywhere, so that would also be in·ac·cu·rate.

Simon, this is poo's, I had my heart set on the vvti version, but not ken on another $1500 or so for a Link.

Also, my Alto was just a cunt. Only car I have purchased without viewing first, will never do that again.