Suggestions on where to buy some springs

Roman

Hey all,

So the rear end of my car is sitting too low, and the springs are too soft.

Currently using a standard spring that's cut to the length of the height of the captive shock, to suit a lower than standard static ride height.

Basically, I'm a stiffer spring of the same overall length as the cut down one, but obviously stiffer so that it raises the height of the rear of the car, and resists body roll etc better.

I went to a spring shop, explained the situation, guy said yep sweet, told me to come back in a few hours time.

I get there, and the springs he'd gotten were about the length of the spring I already had before it was cut, i.e. way too long.

He insisted that it was a stiffer spring, yet longer, yet the weight of the car would drop it down to just above the height of what it is at the moment. Which didnt seem to make much sense.

Even with the full length standard spring (which is way too soft) the weight of the car obviously didnt drop to that level, so a stiffer spring is obviously gonna drop the car less than that.

He inisisted that this would work, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, after all he's the spring guy, not me.

Fitted the springs he gave me, and now the car's got about an 80mm gap between the gaurd and the tire, where as previously the tire was just tucking under the gaurd

Took the springs back out, took them back, and he said he's gonna get me some shipped in which are similar, but progressive rate spring instead of linear, so will drop the height more. (obviously because they're softer, which is exactly what I dont want)

So, basically I dont have too much faith in that I'm not going to get a spring that's just as long as the one he gave me, but a softer spring rate, and still sky high. Gonna ask for my money back if the other springs are longer than the one I took him.

So I'm after some advice on where I can go to get some springs to suit my requirements off the shelf, or potentially some made up to my specifications if need be? In Auckland area.

Suggestions GO!

Ring Chamberlains in Christchurch, tell them what car you have, what length and what spring rate and they can make it. if they do them wrong they remake them free too (or did for me anyway...asked for 50mm shorter, got 50mm shorter than lows...)

I have not read the entire OP, but based on the replies this is my input:

I've had good luck taking springs from my car into Snells Springs and saying "please make me a set of spring similar to this but this stiffness (in lbs) and so my car is x lower/higher.

yea snell springs will make you a custom pair for about $230... just need to measure the compressed height of your springs now, then drop them in and say these springs compress to XXX, i want something 30% stiffer than compresses to XXX+20mm? and then they can work it out and tell you the extended/uncompressed height of the new springs in the new rate, see if that suits your shocks, if its too short then you will need to go softer

Some spring tips i picked up working for autolign. May be obvious to some, whatever.

-More coils = softer

-Wire diameter changes ride height by approx 30mm per mm of extra spring wire thickness.

Therefore a 10 coil 12mm spring is soft as shit while a 5 coil 15mm wire would suit the likes of a 4wd.

Progressive is when some coils are bunched together, as they are closer they are softer and will collapse when the car is on the ground allowing the remaining 3ish coils of the spring to load up when heavier with mates in car etc.

-Progressions all pile up so 3x coils progressive takes up 30-35mm of space

My suggestion is find a spring which is slightly longer but thinner in wire by a mm or two, something like 5-6 coils.