why does my car sit lower on one side

coldturkey

Also to all the people that say changing shocks wont make a car raise up or anything. then how come i have seen it happen so many times before?

Because you were changing the springs, they hadn't seated properly, the car needed to settle, the suspension bushings were tightened in a different position, any number of reasons. What I ask you is, if you can compress a shock by pushing on it then how will that shock be able to support the weight of the car enough to alter its ride height? This is assuming the shocks are in good condition and the range of motion between both old and new is not maxed out, as this will obviously affect the ride height.

Also to all the people that say changing shocks wont make a car raise up or anything. then how come i have seen it happen so many times before?

Because you were changing the springs, they hadn't seated properly, the car needed to settle, the suspension bushings were tightened in a different position, any number of reasons. What I ask you is, if you can compress a shock by pushing on it then how will that shock be able to support the weight of the car enough to alter its ride height? This is assuming the shocks are in good condition and the range of motion between both old and new is not maxed out, as this will obviously affect the ride height.

My logic agrees with Mikuni kthxbye

Because when you put the car on the ground it has not seated the springs / bushes properly.

Did you do all the bolts up with the car on a 4 post hoist so they are sitting at the operation height?

I have done many hours fitting brand new suspension / shock absorbers to brand new vehicles with 3 times the suspension travel of any car.

After a test drive the ride height is always the same as the previous shocks.

Edit: Didn't read second page, but yeah. What Brad said.

I thought this was the springs worn out but I have put new springs all round in it. The driver side sits about 20mm lower then the passenger side (with nobody in it), particulary at the back.

Or maybe when I got the back springs compressed one side ended up softer some how?

To fix it should I just get the RHS-rear spring extended by 20mm? This should hopefully also bring the LHS-front down slightly due to more weight over it.

The front two are new springs, they have been cut, to the same height.

The back two are out of a E36 BMW, so they arent that old, they have been compressed.

Remove springs, end story.

But seriously, to summarize, new front springs cut, and used rear springs compressed?

Swap rears side to side would be my first attempt. At least then you can eliminate the rear springs.

This thread got confusing.

Haha yep mine had the mega lurch to the driver's side going on too! I would try swapping the rear springs from one side to the other to see if that helps, otherwise perhaps get the car up on a hoist with a scissor jack on the driver's side lifting it up so it's leaning to the passenger side slightly, then undo all the suspension arm bolts to reshift the bushing positions - they could have been moved ever so slightly over time in such a way that they have more resistance to go lower/higher in the travel on one side.

With this kind of logic you should also know the cure for cancer , and be able to feed the world and tell me what is the meaning of life???

Phil for God.

EDIT: Re read some more. Drives side shocks are spat? Are all the rubber mounts sweet? Was the previous owner serious obsess and bent the car over time/

• 2 weeks later...