do i really need this queer oil cooler

sentra

on my mazda b6t motor it comes factory with a really queer oil cooler mounted on the filter pedistal that uses coolant to cool? it.

it really looks gay with all the rats nest of heater hoses required to use it, im pretty keen to put it in the bin as its the last thing

that makes working on the car/replacing motors and stuff a chore

im kind of thinking its just there to extend oil change intervals or something, none of the other 90's small 4cyl turbos seem to have them??

i feel like i have read that statement somewehre before??

maby if the oil gets too hot i can just turn the water temp down to like 70 deg to keep the oil cool???????

i think ill do it regardless :idea:

edit ah yeah its a racecar that sees about 1 day of track time a year

Interestingly enough I recently brought a Mitsi GSR which had done a head gasket, they also have a similar type thing attached to the back of the block.

I fixed head gasket started it up and ended up having 2L of oil get pushed into the water in 5 min :shock: . After some logical thinking and testing turns out the "queer oil cooler thing" had a leak in the jacket between oil and water, going to change to air oil cooler to stop this stupid thing ever occurring again.

And I thought you liked queer stuff dave?

its there to cool the oil. which is a good thing, esp on a turbo car. As suggested you could replace it with an air/oil cooler if you like but I wouldn't remove it alltogether. maybe just redo the plumbing to tidy it up?

Can't be all bad if 3-4 different manufacturers mentioned above use them..

Extra cooling might be needed if your engine is getting a real hard time for extended periods, but other wise I think the fact they bring oil up to temp when warming up, as well as cooling it when giving it a beating, is pretty sweet.

If your biggest issue is that you think it looks gay, then I'd say leave it there? Cant see the motor when you're racing haha.

Although it might make the motor slightly more inconvienient to take out, you might have to take it out more often if it's not there :P

but i take it apart more often than i race it (which is never)

based on popular opioion ill put an air one in it

it would be good to get one that could do both trans and motor as my gearbox has a (oem) radiqator too

and im kind of having radiatorintercoolergearbioxcooleroilcooler overload.

:D