twosmoke

You could get some cams grinded/reprofiled for not much more than $150 and still have the timing good enough to run without vernier cam gears if using original cams, why not just do that? I talked to Franklin Cam Services and they seemed quite knowledgable about how far you could push hydro lifters.

I copied this from another forum

There's two issues.

1) the solid lifter must be set up with clearance to allow for differential expansion in the valvetrain, so the cam to drive it has an introductory ramp that is long and slowly changing, to pick up the mass of the valvetrain gently. An HLA cam does not provide this "soft pickup" so may be less suitable for use with solid lifter valvetrain.

2) Solid lifter cams are usually used with lighter lifters and springs, so they can have steeper opening ramps (knowing the lower opening forces won't break through the cam face). Heavier HLA valvetrain may lead to excessive forces and wear on a solid lifter cam

for what purpose do you need more power?

are you certain it's power you need not torque?

for instance if you were building this for a daily a high torque cam suits better as it will give you better acceleration and driveability,

a high power cam will give you more top end but won't be neccessarily suitable,

remembering

torque = twisting force ....acceleration and driveability

power = rate of work ....more top end speed

of course if you have huge power torque generally comes with it , but for an na set up gains are marginal and targeting the motors

specific use is important

Yeah, i've heard mixed results about the VE. I think theres potential there to just build a better dedicated DE engine, but it would be a little more peaky. VE would be a good base/factory engine though, just drop it in a track car and go.

Heres a dyno sheet from TP a year or 2 ago, with a VE making 126kw at the wheels

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq34 ... lchart.jpg

Theres a video of it somewhere too, and it just sounds insane. Shakes the camera etc, actually quite funny.

Ve ports are way to large from factory. They really are just horrendously huge.They certainly have potential but a bolt on only VE will never match a Honda VTAK with bolt ons.

Bit disappointing being THAT far behind a b18c. They are normally atleast within ball park. Although no one has really had good results with ITB's on VE's, again I reckon its cause the ports are too large.

I'm gonna go to town on my VE head. I'm going to fill the port floors and get an actual appropriately sized port and run ITB's. Hopefully with good results :)

Ve ports are way to large from factory. They really are just horrendously huge.They certainly have potential but a bolt on only VE will never match a Honda VTAK with bolt ons.

Bit disappointing being THAT far behind a b18c. They are normally atleast within ball park. Although no one has really had good results with ITB's on VE's, again I reckon its cause the ports are too large.

I'm gonna go to town on my VE head. I'm going to fill the port floors and get an actual appropriately sized port and run ITB's. Hopefully with good results :)

Sounds good man. Theres a couple of forum members on here who have played around with filling ports a little - Toyota motors often suffer a similar problem to what you are describing. I'm definitely keen to see a detailed build/tech thread when you satrt playing around with the VE head.