beams 3sge exhaust size?

spanners

The standard headers go into 2x 46mmID pipes.

I was thinking of teeing these into 1 pipe then maybe 300mm into it, reducing it down to 2 inches the whole way back to a muff. Keep in mind i want it to be quiet.

Is 2 inches too small? I need help here, I couldnt find out what the standard altezza exh diameter is

Chur

I'd go 2.5" , my starlet wasn't particularly choked up making 245KW atw out of a 2.5'' mandrel bent system. (it made 15kw more with the exhaust disconnected) Plus 3'' will be a total bastard around the diff.

If you use a decent pressed steel offset muffler and it should be nice and quiet.

a lenght of 2.5 won't cost a lot the money is in the flexi's and bends / labour if you are paying someone to do it.

For an NA 2 litre twincam that you want to get decent power out of, I would go as close to 3 inch as you can fit. There was a techy exhaust thread floating around at one stage and there was a few examples of people getting gains from going 2.5 to 3 inch on similar setups. Try for mandrel bends if you can be bothered/can afford. At the end of the day, its more important to have it fit well and be tidy, so if 3 inch is just too big then go with what ever you can fit, don't go cutting shit up or have anything hanging down.

I've gone underneath the diff in my Chevette and its fine, it's only 2.5 inch though. The only time when I curse it is when I have to drop the diff for any reason, which means panhard rod unbolted, so I can undo some of the exhaust mounts and lower it enough to drop the diff. Other than that, its great! :lol:

mine was 2.5 over the diff, running pretty low with the hilux setup. The driveshaft/diff head was touching the floorpan before I have any major problems. I would avoid under diff setup if you can..

Still think 3 inch is overkill on an n/a. My old 3 litre mivec diamante made 150 wheel kilowatts on a 2 1/4 factory system...

big as possible after extractor collector. think of it as just a way to make it quieter and to get to the rear of the car. if your not running straight through muffler, i'd up size it compared to pipe size. 2.5" system with a 3" muffler, would probably be ok. but may as well go 3" bit of a knob to get a decent size pipe under a kp though. im running oval pipe thats about equivalent to 3" on mine, runs straight under the diff, which is far easier and causes no issue unless you have alot of suspension droop. the lowest point is where it has to go around the rear footwell. if i was building the car again id modify that section of the floor, to tuck the pipe up higher.

Keep in mind i want it to be quiet.

3'' is probably overkill for a n/a 2litre especially if you want to keep it quiet

even if it makes 4 more killerwatts its not worth the hassle if you cant drive it cause youve gone deaf or pissed off neighbours have thrown rocks at you

Mine has got HKS copy extractors on, which have the friggen long 4-2 section and 2-1 section, then 2.5" to a long straight through resonator, then up and over the diff, then to standard Altezza rear muffler.

It's still louder than I'd prefer TBH, even at near idle.

Sounded very tractorish with just the extractors :D

Whered you get the extractors from? I didnt realise that was your vid

Did he died?

Trademe, they come up every now and again if you keep an eye out.

Still got the car, it's just been on hold for a long time due to lack of work/disposable income over the last year and a bit.

Big bit of progress / completion coming up shortly however 8)

carina

Chose a carina because the motor bolts right in, big trans tunnel, etc.

Still got SFA ground clearance to the sump, even with more height in the engine bay.

Will be a bit heavier than a starlet though... hoping it will be under a tonne though.

Still might be a few tricks and tips in that thread which might come in handy for ya.

Tips and tricks? Fuck ya! That conversion looks so much easier than mine. Did I mention fuck ya! I cant believe w series d/shaft fits into 6 spd, and you didnt have to cut anything

It makes me sad lol. The amount of money I have thrown at the starlet is just ridiculous

*edit you jammy bastard! :)

Dude KP starlets are actually my most friggen favourite car in the universe.

It was my top pick, until I realised what an a-hole of a job it would be to put this motor in one.

If I didnt have the engine prior to the car, I'd probably go for a blacktop 4AGE in a starlet for a project car, would be awesome fun I reckon.

Stick with the starlet, it will be friggen fantastic when it's done! Beams motor was heaps of fun in the

, carina will be a bit lighter and a bit more fun to throw around, and your starlet is gonna be even lighter and even awesomer! Will give you a race at an OS trackday if we ever get our cars finished hahaha.

Do you know the thing about moving the position of the gear shifter to the forward set of holes on the box? Saves a lot of greif, and having to reach towards the back seat to change gear, ahaha.

bigger doesn't mean it has to be louder.

if you have any plans to throw a set of big cams in it, would go 3". 2.5 prob fine otherwise. once you have a bit of cam overlap going on, you want as little as possible exhaust restriction

keen for race also :D