How good are the DIY sand blasting guns?

Leeky1

Went down to the local paint/panel supply shop otherday and noticed a small Sand blasing gun for $35.

I'm getting my car Garnet blasted soon as I feel that's the best way to clear out most the rot but for the smaller panels etc that I've already pulled off I thought I might get away with buying one of these and doing it at home.

Any had much experience with these and is there anything I need to be aware of?

I'm trying to restore my car a cheaply as possible while still doing a thorough job.

Na I didn't buy it.

That sucks, was hoping this would be a cheap way to clean up all my rusty bits. Which is almost everything not plastic or glass :rolleyes:

So what do you recommend? Just bite the bullet and find someone to blast all the parts cheaply?

It depends how bad the rust is and how hard it is to get to.

If the rust is easily accessible with a grinder and rust kill spray be it panels or under body parts I would just grind it all out / off.

If the majority or the rust is in hard to get to places then I would probably just get them to media blast those places.

There is no point in getting it blasted is any of the rust spots are going to need patches welded in.

You can get great results with a bit of time and a grinder.

The important bit is to get paint over the freshly ground metal or you get back to square one.

Iv got one, they are pretty shit

only good for real little thing/hard to get to places , plus makes a big mess every where.

really depends on the size of the air compressors you use

we have a $25 one from topmaq and goes well even with beach sand, just doesnt like the drift wood and shells :D

probably pot luck with the cheap ones

beach sand? salt .. bare metal .. rust?

only good for real little thing/hard to get to places , plus makes a big mess every where.

we have a $25 one from topmaq and goes well even with beach sand, just doesnt like the drift wood and shells :D

alluminium parts

alluminium parts

:pirate: Sweet way to get lung cancer eh?

I found we had to dry the fuck out of the sand to stop it from clotting up, and sift the buggery out of it to.

Then it worked fine. BUT they consume a shitload of air, and fill your hair/pockets/shoes with sand. plus I had to wear a welding helmet cos my face was getting cained with sand. (Fucked the lens too.)

I just give a mate a box of tui and he does it for me. win.

i got a cheap one form topmaq and made one of these from a drum

also made a gravity feed hopper and it works mint

dan

Maybe I should just bring my parts over to your's with a few dozen piss. :lol:

I thought I'd get a cheap gun, go grab some sand from the sea(although that shit that come up in the earthquake looks really fine) throw on some sunnies and a paper breathing mask and go nuts in the driveway! :oops: