Twin Alternators - Auto-sparky help plz

von Mako

I want to run a second alternator on my L200. Both will be charging the same battery and pretty sure they are internally regulated, so assuming they are, do I need to put anything inline to stop one frying the other? Or is it essentially a 'one-way street' current flow wise?

Crikey, it would be a bit easier to install one larger alternator tbh.

But if you are set on having two.

Ideally you want to use matched alternators, similar voltage etc. I would run the second alt off another belt, having that much load on one belt isn't really ideal.

The second alt gets wired up as per normal, but i would install another charge light for it.

Don't worry about backfeeding, the batteries are demanding the power, not an alternator.

Just common sense stuff like using decent size power and earth cables.

Yea one HO alt would be easier, but I've got another L200 alt there so may aswell use it and fabbing the bracket is no prob.

I've already upped the factory wiring to 4 gauge, so will use the same on the second alt.

It was just the backfeeding I was worried about. Cheers for the help!

Yea one HO alt would be easier, but I've got another L200 alt there so may aswell use it and fabbing the bracket is no prob.

Roughly translated: I'm a tight ass and don't want to spend any money.

Also 100ish amps from the stereo + 50ish amps from the standard electrical system = 150+amps. Even with a 120a alt, I'd only be marginally better off than I am now.

Roughly translated: I'm a tight ass and don't want to spend any money.

Also 100ish amps from the stereo + 50ish amps from the standard electrical system = 150+amps. Even with a 120a alt, I'd only be marginally better off than I am now.

I can't see how you can drive while 100amps worth of sound is happening? but I can understand already having stuff so just using that to make it work.

I can't see how you can drive while 100amps worth of sound is happening? but I can understand already having stuff so just using that to make it work.

Haha, yea I know. I have it loud, but not stupid loud. TBH, that 100a is jush roughly based on 1400w/13.8v, and that is assuming that my amps are actually making that much power (which is pretty :doubt: ), so realistically I'm probably only getting 3/4 of that on a good day, 2/3's tops. But even so, it's still draining my battery so I figure adding the second alt won't hurt.

Thread is pleasing, post pics of big sounds asap please.

I assume the battery your using is deep cycle?? And what capacitor are you using??

If you have the space to do so why not run two alts and two batterys, with one battery running the vehicle and a deep cycle for the sounds. Thinking your sole battery will take a hiding from the juice of two alts and then the drain from the amps etc

Thread is pleasing, post pics of big sounds asap please.

I assume the battery your using is deep cycle?? And what capacitor are you using??

If you have the space to do so why not run two alts and two batterys, with one battery running the vehicle and a deep cycle for the sounds. Thinking your sole battery will take a hiding from the juice of two alts and then the drain from the amps etc

Just have a heavy duty batt for now, but will be getting a deep cycle. The 2 alts/2 batts idea is a good one. Was talking to a guy yesterday who thought there might be the chance of the alts 'tricking' each other into thinking the battery is charged and prematuraly turning off, so that idea would solve that issue. Would have to make a new battery tray, but that's no biggy.

Not using a capacitor, they're just a giant marketing scam IMO. I can see the benefits if you're parked up or competing in DB Drag and need a little extra juice on a big bass line, but don't think one would benefit me enough to warrant spending the money. I'm better off spending the money on the alt/batt upgrade.

Build thread HERE if you want to check it out.

It was a big doof doof system, but I got sick of not being able to hear the music over the bass so it's evolved into more of an SQ system.

How do you know you need another alternator ? If your battery isnt going flat while driving or the voltage is dropping so low that the car is stalling you could probly get away with just fitting a second battery. Thats assuming you do not drive around with your sounds pumped up as far as they go constantly.

By the way, checked out your build thread. Very very impressed, absolutly top workmanship there. I know the sort of hours that goes into that sort of work. Well done !

Thanks man. I stopped counting the hours I've put into this thing a looong time ago. It was a f'n mess when I brought it...alot of 'professional' work done to a very sub-standard level. :evil: I like to think the next owner will be getting a pretty solid truck.

The battery going flat is the problem. I've been driving the last week with no stereo and had no problems, but after a good blast on the stereo, the drain on the battery is apparent the next time you start it.

Sorry, 1600WRMS

1000WRMS @ 2ohm monoblock

150WRMS X 4 full range thing.

Both alpine units, can't remember model codes.

They'd kill the car with the factory alternator, but have never had an issue since.

Headlights would pull another 400W before I threw in some HIDs

yep just jam in second alt and wire as per normal, 12v from charge light as uterus says. they wont fight each other, the diodes in the rectifier will stop either alternator "seeing" each other. will work as per normal but with yea, a second alt.

hope your wiring is lush as fuck because constant 100a draw is astronomical. you could have mig running in the back :lol: