Link ECU to run the fueling

Abarth

Hey

Im converting my car from carb to EFI.

I want to wire in a Link ECU to run just the fuel injectors. What do I need to add to make the ECU work? TPS? Oxygen sensor? Trigger wheel?

All the fueling is sorted I just need to know what controls the injectors.

Cheers.

Cheers for the reply, all this stuff is pretty new to me.

The car already has electronic igntion in it. Its old but it still runs a decent 3D map. Eventually I will convert it out but for the mean time Im keen just to get the ECU running the fuel side of things.

Im using Blacktop 45mm quads with the factory TPS. Im after a late model Link, one that can plug into a laptop, any recomendations? Can they run the factory Toyota TPS sensor?

Not sure about the triger wheel on the crank, does it need one notch on it to tell it when to fire the injectors? Ive heard you can use an ABS sensor as the sensor for this?

best go for a g3 or newer then, as you can software configure your triggers. older links have a daughter board that has to be changed for different configurations. missing tooth setup should work fine

blacktop tps will work no worries

its pretty straight forward to setup the ignition side of things if you want to go that way. it would be a good idea actually, if your current ignition uses a vacuum reference. as vacuum signal will be alot different with the quads than the carb manifold

g3 or g4 link doesnt have it as an option in pc link. havent seen it done either. but best to ask link if its possible

if it were me, i'd be going straight for the trigger wheel option and ignition control. potential to gain more power and drive ability. a wasted spark setup is cheap and easy

doesn't the microplex ignition have some kind of speed sensor on it anyway? otherwise get a 36-1 trigger wheel and mount to front pulley and get a VR sensor from a ford EDIS setup.

something like this

4884393081_075cc39188_z.jpg

The vacuum thing with throttles shouldnt be such an issue since the factory setup had twin carbs so pretty much the same in that respect.

This is presuming you are talking about the 130TC of course.

you can get old v1/v2/v3 links upgraded to v5 for not too much I think? orion knows about it, he has had a couple done. That said you can get a pre made megasquirt for about the same price as the upgrade I think, and the MS seems to have better idle than the old links, pretty much the same features and more scope for additional features if required afaik - although that opinion is only from my limited anecdotal experience.

Oh you are finally doing this! Let me know if you need a hand with anything boy.

Yeah, have to do something to keep up with your Gemini! Im moving into a place that has a garage so I will have a heap more time to muck round on with the Strada. I will have to pop by and have a squz at whats going on with your EFI setup. Im going to run the surge tank under the car though.

I will probably be looking at a G3 or a G4 atom.

What does wasted spark mean? Im assuming there are a few setups that I can do, what are they and there pros and cons

Tom - Correct it is for the Strada those 40mm Solexs just arent doing that engine justice, the ignition does have a sensor on the end of the crank but there is only one notch on it. Not sure how well 25 year old tech will intergrates with a Link. Might have to replace with the trigger wheel like in your picture, if I do that I may as well get the Link to run ignition too.

Cheers for the help guys.

link will run with one pulse per tdc, which sounds like what you have? will possibly work depending on what sort of trigger it is, but will only run dizzy. as the ecu cant tell the engine position., that's why you need the multi tooth wheel

wasted spark = fires 2 opposite cylinders at once, so one spark gets wasted as its on exhaust stroke. on your average 4cyl engine, you will have 2 coils. 1 coil will do cyinders 1&4 and the other will do 2&3.

i usually use mitsi coils, but theres plenty of options out there

could go coil on plug if you wanted. but the above will be cheaper