perrinsohc's Vauxhall Magnum

perrinsohc

Yea man welcome and nice car, any thoughts on lowering it a tad? :D

I would love to. It really needs it. Drivers side rear suspension is pretty warn and has a 30mm lean to one side. Not really sure of how to go about lowering it, mainly the reason why I haven't done it yet

Lean in suspenion probably = worn shocks and springs + worn bushes. In combination =fairly crap suspention

The lean in corners wont be fixed by lowering it, body roll is controlled by sway bars/torsion cars etc, etc. And also, in no small degree by the bushes that they sit in. Start with replacing those with brand new ones, and any links in that system (d-links etc), than head towards uprating them, or doubling up on them. and see how you go. Lowering effects the center of gravity and ride height, if it effects the roll, it's through compression (by the virtue of lowering) not an actual change to that system.

mine had a lean to the drivers side also, probably worn out shocks/springs.

I lowered mine by cutting the front springs about 2 coils off, and getting mid 90s Barina springs and having them compressed 3" and trimming one of the ends a little bit, and swapping over the spring retainers from the original springs. The Barina springs were probably a little too soft though, E30 BMWs have the same kinda spring but am unsure how long they are and if their spring rate is too stiff.

mine had a lean to the drivers side also, probably worn out shocks/springs.

I lowered mine by cutting the front springs about 2 coils off, and getting mid 90s Barina springs and having them compressed 3" and trimming one of the ends a little bit, and swapping over the spring retainers from the original springs. The Barina springs were probably a little too soft though, E30 BMWs have the same kinda spring but am unsure how long they are and if their spring rate is too stiff.

I think it was 2" compressed for barina springs 3" makes the back way to low and its like driving with no suspension at all

I have some Vectra and Commodore IRS springs that may fit in the rear. Not sure what they would do for lowering, but they would be a firmer rate, which is a good thing. Can measure them up for you and see if they are likely to fit if you want.

Where are you located? Might want to put location in your profile?

I have some Vectra and Commodore IRS springs that may fit in the rear. Not sure what they would do for lowering, but they would be a firmer rate, which is a good thing. Can measure them up for you and see if they are likely to fit if you want.

Where are you located? Might want to put location in your profile?

Any option is a good option for now, I suposed if I were to start doing the suspension I would want to lower it a wee bit. Im in christchurch. They are soft as now and factory but still passing wofs haha. Thanks mate

Nice to see another Magnum, shame you're on the far side of the world! Car looks great, just needs a drop now. I did mine with AVO adjustable shocks and custom springs, pretty low now and looks much better for it. Poly bushes sound like your job too :D

Nice to see another Magnum, shame you're on the far side of the world! Car looks great, just needs a drop now. I did mine with AVO adjustable shocks and custom springs, pretty low now and looks much better for it. Poly bushes sound like your job too :D

Might have a look at those avo shocks, do you reckon that they would ship to NZ? haha. Not much aftermarket bolt on options here as far as ive seen. Shouldn't be too much problem to do springs I think in Christchurch

Bellamy and East in christchurch will do all your spring needs. can make custom sizes, or compress/reshpae current ones. Not sure on the viva suspension set up, but if its anthing like a chevette then its as simple as finding a shorter shock that will bolt in, is fairly easy. im just cutting a few coils off and using shorter shocks to keep it all captive. can also find shorter springs that will fit if you dont like cutting them

The springs taper inwards at both the top and the bottom in the rears at least (well I know the estates do, presume the sedans are the same? Phil will answer this ?) So "normal" springs cant be used - commodores etc etc

You didnt buy this off a guy that lived in burwood area ?