Fee Ate mark 4 Supra

R100

Mate of mine wanted some more power out of his 2jzge powered supra so i decided to give him a hand to fit a 1UZ.

He didnt have a heap of money to spend was after something a bit different than a turbo 2JZ.

Engine is a 1UZ out of a 1996 Toyota Majesta. Its the newer series 2 engine that has a plastic airflow meter.

Supras have there sump at the rear of the engine, the 1UZ's with the rear sumps come from a toyota soarers. I was told that a rear sump 1UZ fits perfectly in the supra but after spending nearly 2 weeks trying to locate one i decided to fabricate my own.

We are using the factory 1UZ auto trans but had to swap it with an earlier 1UZ trans as the series 2 1UZ trans do not have a speedo sensor in them.

The trans bolted straight up to the factory supra mounts.

I finally got the engine all mounted up tonight, had to fabricate a pair of new steel mounts off the block using the 1UZ rubbers.

The engine fits in there real nice with plenty of room around the 1UZ factory (crappy) headers.

I had a steel flange laser cut in the shape of the sump as i need to make a new sump. Will also need to relocate the oli pick up to the rear.

Next job is to make a sump out of cardboard then use the templates to make it up out of steel.

supra008.jpg

New engine mounts made from 8mm steel plate

supra006.jpg

Left hand side engine mount in place.

supra010g.jpg

Laser cut steel flange next to alloy 1UZ sump

supra005.jpg

Veiw showing where the new sump bowl needs to be.

supra011.jpg

Flange bolted to engine with pick up in place, will need to fit and tig into place a new pick up tube.

supra013.jpg

My face is slightly sunburnt as i welded the mounts up tonight. Even though i wear a mask its amazing how much the light reflects off the buildings and back into the welding helmet.

Like my safety gloves lol

supra004.jpg

turboing the 2jzge is a pretty cost effective power gain too. 1UZ is differant tho, will need turbs or supercharger to be very lively tho

Originally the idea was to turbo the 2JZ as it would make alot more power for a whole lot less work. But with a budget of just over $2000 + the price of a cert i couldnt see this possible, to do it properley anyway.

Your correct in saying it will need turbs or SC to be lively. I cant see it going much better than a factory Soarer.

Plans for the future will no doubt include a 5 speed conversion and maybe a supercharger if funds allow.

Until then at least it will sound the part :D

You're wrong about the turbos.

Needs light flywheel, link, compressions, cams and ITB's to be lively.

agree but sounds like hes trying to do a cheapish build n that would cost a lot more that a turbs etc

Heart conversion to uz but you could have done a cheap turbo/manual conversion using all stock parts.

Although when it's manual/supercharged it will be ruling, infact i might go for a drive now just because i can.

Made a cardboard sump tonight to check for clearances etc. Will use it as a template to make the sump. Some quick calculations tell me it should hold 5-6 liters of oil. Sould be sweetas.

wheels029.jpg

wheels028.jpg

ive got a magazine which mentions a v8 soarer front x member bolting into a supra, then you could use all factory bits if you had a soarer sump. was that the sump you couldnt find?

turbo manual 1uz in a supra would be splendid.

ive got a magazine which mentions a v8 soarer front x member bolting into a supra, then you could use all factory bits if you had a soarer sump. was that the sump you couldnt find?

turbo manual 1uz in a supra would be splendid.

Ive read that somewhere also. Problem with the Soarer sumps is they are made of unobtainium so decided to just make one as i need this car running asap. Will give you a ring next week about a cert. :)

Yup friggin V8 soarers are everywhere ! Which fustates me as it shouldnt be hard to find a sump off one. I exhausted my efforts after nearly 2 weeks trying to track one down. Need the supra off the hoist asap. Ideally want it driveable end of next week.

In the auto boxes of the series 1 1UZ there is a speedo sensor. But in the series 2 1UZ there isnt. Theres not even a hole to mount it in. To get the speedo going again on the supra we needed to swap the later model box with the older style. They are mechanically the same but have different style plugs.

Was just a mater of removing the oil pans and swapping the electrics over.

New box is back in car now.

wheels032q.jpg

wheels034.jpg

wheels036y.jpg

Made new oil pick up tonight and fitted sump back on engine for trial fit befor the final welding is done. I also finished off welding up the exhaust headers with flanges ready to do the rest of the system.

driftone005.jpg

driftone006.jpg

driftone008.jpg

My DRIFT SPEC Serena which has no relivence to this build but i modified my airbox on it tonight, now it sounds like a drift one.

driftone011.jpg

Havnt progressed too much on it in the last few days. But sorted out the oil filter. The oil filter stalk hit on the steering rack. After i chopped it in half and fitted some hose fittings i purchased a remote oil filter kit. Problem fixed !

stuff022.jpg

stuff023.jpg

stuff028.jpg

I designed an oil relocator/fitting to replace the factory 1uz one yonks ago for my MZ10 soarer.

I have no problems giving you the design to get it CNC machined somewhere. Or there is a small glimor of hope that i maybe able to CNC it for you.

The option you have gone for is the most logical tho haha.

34372_439878510836_654920836_6536507_7575289_n.jpg

34372_439878515836_654920836_6536508_4084142_n.jpg

PM for more info.

• 4 weeks later...

Car is 95% finished now. Just needs a cert and some of the dash lights connected up.

Very smooth to drive and has power thats expected from an auto 1UZ

Will be replacing the stock radiator later on this week with a thicker 56mm aftermarket alloy type and fitting an external trans oil cooler.

cars032.jpg

cars038.jpg

cars040.jpg