reasonable price for Honing and resurfacing an engine block

Ogre

Just wondering what a generally acceptable price would be for a resurface and a hone of a 4 cylinder block (4g63)

I havnt rung around yet, would just like to know what i should be looking for.All i need is a hone and to resurface the top of the block.I could probably get away with not doing either but i dont see the point in cheaping out and i dont want to have to rip it out after 6 months coz of somthing gay.

Also who is a good engine re builder in tauranga to get the work done?

CHUR

^^yeah i was thinking about honing myself, but then like you seid, the cross hatch is very important and id would rather do it once right than do it 3 times myself and then have bores that are to oversize.

just go b&H in palmy man. gcs

Would most likely have gone there but ive recently moved to tauranga so kinda abit far to drag my block down to do lol

just dropped mine off for this and crack testing, crank grind, etc today,will post the details of wallet-wound when i pickup next week

Make sure ya let us know how it turns out man

Cheers!

head pressure test 80.00

valve grind 285.00

cylinder rebore 220.00

block surface 66.00

fit balance shaft bearings 45.00

pistons-assemble to rods 60.00

pistons new turbo 380.00

ring set 140.00

head set 88.32

conversion set 69.64

main bearings 117.94

con rod bearings 32.00

balance bearings 42.00

thats price from auckland engine rebuilders for g63b sohc turbo engine

MEAN

Are those prices for OEM or aftermarket stuff?ARP studs or anything?

I went to one place in tauranga so far, priced me up for $40 per cylinder for hone, $60 odd for the block resurface and $120 to balance crank,flywheel and clutch and front pully.He seid he would weigh up the pistons and rods for free but he reconed they would all be pretty good.

i cant believe they charge $45 to do balance shaft bearings and shit.They take like 10mins if that!. What assembling are you going to do yourself?

Its easy as man but it would have been better to do it before the balance shaft bearings where put in as you need to rotate them 180 degrees to cut off the oil feed hole in the block.

yea i thought $120 was cheap too.Keemed like a real GC after i told him "no its not a 4g63 turbo for an EVO lancer its a non turbo with quad carbs in a 70s RWD lancer".Might have had somthing to do with it....

• 8 months later...