isnowi's Brumby

johnnyfive

Will keep 4 speed until i can find a good 5 speed D/R, planning to fit taller tyres so the extra ratios of the 5 speed will come in handy.

Plan is

1. get new motor in and running

2. fix rust and tidy up exterior

3. tidy up interior, new seats etc etc.

4. lift and bigger rubber

5. engine playtime.

6. Lets be honest i'll probably get bored by about this time and sell it for a loss, or maybe respray.

cheers

• 3 months later...

Scored an AWD 5 speed today, complete with locking centre diff and dual range, will have to make a custom centre console to tidy up the multiple levers etc.

Also got my wheels on friday, 14x6 NOS desert rats, just need to find some tyres now, 27x8.5 r14's

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally sourced a suitable donor, thanks to Vai man, a 1992 2.2 gx legacy will be donating it's entrails to the brumby, i'm hoping to get most of the swap done this weekend, then i can go about getting it back on the road.

Itching to get sarted, but not winning the lotto means i have to stay at work for another week...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Good to see it running. What clutch did you end up going with?

I'm using ea81 flywheel with ea81 cover and gemini pressure plate.

I'm sure it won't last overly long, then i'll look at getting an uprated cover made up for it.

Running stock weight flywheel too, i think it'll need it to turn the taller tyres.

TBH, having a clutch made of cheese should help the AWD gearbox hold together a bit longer. I haven't opened it so i have no idea how good it is, will probably rebuild it next year and put the low range out of the 4 speed brumby box in (1.5ish as opposed to 1.2ish)

Came from Radiator shop in wellingtown, Abel Smith Radiators, i've spent a bit in there over the years, they looked after me pretty good, and he recognised what the old one came out of straight away :shock: . From memory it was around $250 including the faffing about with custom water necks etc. Fans are Tardme specials $33 i've reversed the blades and wired em backwards to make em work as pushers.

Still have to hide the receipt from the missus, the brumby was supposed to be a cheap build/no such thing... :lol:

$250....where do i sign. Ive already made some cunty/tricky hoses so the bends wont be a problem. would be mint to have 1 3/4 outlets tho - dont like running silly reducers. Ive got a an EA81 slimline AC fan which fits between the radiator and crank pulley and a Supercheap shitbox pusher on the other side. So all set :D