Axle Whine

RT

Took the Capri out yesterday for a spin with the new LSD

seems good, but I hear a bit of a whine now and then.. mainly when slowing down after breaking.

At first I thought it was the diff, but it's not constant enough to be the diff and seems to be coming from the sides.

I put new shoes on the drums.. so it could be them wearing in? or more likely wheel bearings.

thoughts?

true.. they do rumble..

hrm.. it's definately a whine.. doesn't sound nasty.. but it sorta whines when slowing down (kinda like a bus does)

the splines were lapped in properly with blue paste and the wipe area was good.

oil is Redline 75w90

Nah rebuilt by my mate. We were under it this arvo with the Stethoscope and we couldn't pin point it at all. Even had to drop the driveshaft out to make sure it even was the diff. It's pretty random and intermittent. We think mayb since the gears were shot peened that they need some driving to bed in.

Preload is sweet, this diff doesn't use crush tube. All bearings have been replaced except one wheel bearing which was fine.

My I shouldn't have shot peened the gears.. I'll go hard on it this weekend and see if it gets better or worse. using 75w90 ..mayb trying a thicker oil might be a go

Well yeah I was 99.99% sure that's what it was.. But my mate who rebuilt it said it didn't use one. Also had other oddities.. Such as not being able to find brake shoes to fit and axle bearings were a real odd size as well. So fuck knows lol

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't use crush spacers. Solid spacer type.

Diff still whining intermittently.. mostly as certain points on acceleration and disappears when coasting, but also there sometimes on deceleration. Doesn't sound nasty.. but it is a bit annoying.

Probably pinion preload but we checked it again and it's correct torque on the nut.

75/90.. maybe a thicker oil? or re-shim up the gears?

Does anyone reckon shot-peening the gear set might have caused the surface to change a little hence the intermittent whine?

tbh if it not a really loud whine i wouldnt bother .

shot peening the gears could have changed the surface ever so slightly so yes , it could possibly be this .

my diff whines and ive checked all clearnaces and wear marks and its fine .

sounds like the backlash or pinion depth isnt quite right. doesn't need to be much out for it to cause a whine. although the shot peening is a possiblity.

i had one that had been setup wrong and ran like that for awhile. nothing we did to it would get a good wipe pattern, and it would whine everytime. ended up in the bin.

you haven't changed any of the suspension bushes or anything at the same time? lack or insulation between the body and diff, will make it transfer noise through the body.

• 6 months later...

Took the diff out and we went over it again. Seemed to blue up nice with wipe area, maybe just a tiny on the high side, minimum amount of preload. Nothing that looked too bad but a wheel bearing looked suspect so figuring it was probably that it was put back in the car and guess what?

still whines like a bitch

So I'm not sure if I'm being too unreasonable and the gears take a bit of time to bed in? ie, since the gears were removed from another diff and put into this one, the contact area won't be exactly the same.

or maybe it should be mint but it's not shimmed up properly

dunno

agree with Kpr 100%

if it whines its 95% your crown wheel/pinion setup.

not saying that contact patch was wrong or anything but sometimes even bolting the carrier to the housing changes the clearances

ideally you check the footprint with the carrier bolted into the housing with the axles in place. this exact senario has cause me shit in the past

How much oil are you running? Over fill the bajebus out of it....

The diff in my car is currently whining badly from the pinion - you get a gentle whine on accel and a louder one on decel/overrun. At a cruise you can barely hear it.

Did you check the pinion bearing last time the diff was out? If it's worn you could be measuring .010 of backlash, but the worn bearing may cause excessive slop and cause over/under meshing of the gears - which could cause the whine. This has happened with my diff in the past from a lack of oil at the pinion and it resulted in the crown&pinion burning the hardening off.

If it's not too loud I'd just live with it. Borg warners are known for whining from the factory.