turbo lag affected by the size of the intercooler?

samii

i don't see how this can be possible but is by some way the turbo lag affected by the size of the intercooler. just a guy i know is after an interooler but he doesn't want a big one cause of the lag.

surely having a bigger intecooler wuld allow more air to be cool so therefore more air for turbo and more power? but would it really affect the lag?

thanks, samii

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The larger the intercooler the more volume / mass of air it holds.

This air has to be sped up and re compressed every time the turbo spooles because the majority is let out by the bov.

If there is more of it but the turbo is the same size, its going to take longer for the pressure to become even at the inlet manifold.

Yes, over size intercoolers make a difference to lag.

Does that sound sort of right steve?

yes bad enough for me to wish i hadnt swaped on my gtir

inter cooler was a bit bigger but masses of big pipe added to the volume

On mine i went down in size on mine...it made it so there was almost no pressure difference.

Big shiney fmic's are all bling and just for the "look at me I have a turbo car" factor.

The main reason i changed on the gtir was for ease of getting to the plugs etc.

On mine i went down in size on mine...it made it so there was almost no pressure difference.

Big shiney fmic's are all bling and just for the "look at me I have a turbo car" factor.

mine was hidden and not for bling bling the car was dressed down to an x1 1600 spec :D had to use front mount as the bonnet didnt have a silly bulge

but i ran a 3" pipe from the intake to the side of the intercooler which i should have replaced with a smaller one

mine was hidden and not for bling bling the car was dressed down to an x1 1600 spec :D had to use front mount as the bonnet didnt have a silly bulge

but i ran a 3" pipe from the intake to the side of the intercooler which i should have replaced with a smaller one

Ah yeah I ran 2.5inch piping.

I love the gtir bonnet...I converted it into a air intake for the air filter in the end tho...worked well good.

Same as going ridiculously big on the exhaust.

Doesn't matter so much for turbo car though?

You see those drag cars etc that don't even have an exhaust off the turbo.

yes it does.

drag cars have fuck all to do with a "usable" engine.

they do their job very well, but put those engines in a street car and you will soon learn that exhaust sizing on a turbro is very important.

sheepers.