r33 skyline overheating problems

Elmo2003

hey there guys

i kw that this is nt an old school car but i am having big problems with my rb25det skyline overheating

it is pretty much stock apart from frnt mount intercooler and an electric fan running as soon as the key gets turned on

any help would be great

cheers

Daniel

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check the basics first

check fan operation (running and blowing the correct direction)

check water condition (clean and 50/50 water/antifreeze)

replace radiator cap

replace thermostat

remove radiator and have it cleaned by a rad shop (tell them to take the tanks off)

I would also check your FMI isn't blocking airflow to your radiator

There are plenty of other things that can cause overheating but do these ^^ things first and come back if no results.

check your radiator hoses.

i had a teensy tiny itsy bitsy split in one of mine (so small it was almost unnoticeable), but it was enough to make the car run about 1/4 hotter than it should. replaced hose for $8 and she runs like a minter now.

also whats the condition of the coolant and the oil? could be a blown HG/cracked head..

they can be pretty sneaky sometimes.. I've had blown head gaskets that didn't foul the water or the oil, but if you took the cap off the radiator you'd notice the odd bubble coming up.. this made the car run hot too.

check the basics first

check fan operation (running and blowing the correct direction)

check water condition (clean and 50/50 water/antifreeze)

replace radiator cap

replace thermostat

remove radiator and have it cleaned by a rad shop (tell them to take the tanks off)

I would also check your FMI isn't blocking airflow to your radiator

There are plenty of other things that can cause overheating but do these ^^ things first and come back if no results.

the fan is brand new water condition is mint as still nice and green and intercooler has been on there for awhile b4 it started over heating but i will check the thermostat nxt week wen i get the time the top radiator hose is quite a lot hotter than the bottom 1 would this tell me that the thermostat is jamming

check your radiator hoses.

i had a teensy tiny itsy bitsy split in one of mine (so small it was almost unnoticeable), but it was enough to make the car run about 1/4 hotter than it should. replaced hose for $8 and she runs like a minter now.

also whats the condition of the coolant and the oil? could be a blown HG/cracked head..

they can be pretty sneaky sometimes.. I've had blown head gaskets that didn't foul the water or the oil, but if you took the cap off the radiator you'd notice the odd bubble coming up.. this made the car run hot too.

raditato hose are rather new like 1000kms or so old so they should b ok

is it a DET radiator or a de/e? my first r32 had det (thick one) and 2nd r32 always got hot up big hills/on the beach, cos it had the standard 20e radator with 25det behind it

it is a r33 gtst radiator is there any differance fron the rb20 ones to the rb25 ones

have you done a rb25 conversion? edit i need to learn how to read :x

if so i would imagine that the radiator you have in there now, be it a n/a rb20/25de is not up to the task of transfering the heat

so i would happily say you would need a det radiator or a nice big 4 core to help you out

fmic tend to slow the airflow down around and to the radiator

that would be my picking

have you done a rb25 conversion? edit i need to learn how to read :x

if so i would imagine that the radiator you have in there now, be it a n/a rb20/25de is not up to the task of transfering the heat

so i would happily say you would need a det radiator or a nice big 4 core to help you out

fmic tend to slow the airflow down around and to the radiator

that would be my picking

no the car is a factory rb25det it has been running mint for ages with minimal work needed on it but over the last couple of weeks it has been slowly overheating really annoying me

i am sure that it is sumthing simple like a thermostat or in need or a radiator cleaning i have bleed the cooling system with the bleed valve by the manifold so it shouldnt hav air in there

yea sorry man, should have clicked and read

what state is your water pump in?

pump should be good got it changed wen cambelt etc got done round 5000kms ago

the top radiator pipe is getting quite pressurized compared to the bottom this would say that the thrmostat aint opening yes or no

its not somthing silly like the thermo fan blowing through the rad ?? , some fans only work one way aka if you reverse current they dont blow etc

do r33 have a viscous fan from factory?? , if so i would have kept that , dunno why everyone changes to electric , the amount of power you save nothing compared to the amount of suck mech fan can dish out