lofreq's x100 garage slipway chaser

lofreq

did quite a bit of research on coolers- super tall ones arent efficient for flow as end tanks only cram air into the top fins and then cause turbulence rushing into the lower fins (usually the core is huge and the end tanks are tiny) so flow is interrupted quite a bit. also, thin is bad agreed, but its 90mm thick, normally 76mm or less, so actually despite the size i think the cooling will be very effective.

lastly im gonna angle the radiator/aircon exchanger back and center high mount the cooler between the headlights, so i dont need 200ft of cooler pipes, will massively help lag and velocity.

might be alot of theory mumbo jumbo but i enjoy a bit of physics and the concepts are mostly sound - so we'll see how we go

(for proof of concept of long/thin coolers, think of the roof mounted RS200 ones...)

rs200.jpg

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My mate runs the same scarles intercooler on his jzx100, he managed to tuck his behind the factory bumper nicely. Definately a difference in lag when compared to mine, which has quite a large one.

On a side note, need a manual conversion for mine asap, so if you know of any parts going let me know :wink:

• 1 month later...

tragically, after xmas/newyrs/BDO/valentines/sara's bday/my bday rah rah, i am completely out of money - having run up about 5k debt most of it in car parts for this build. so no progress, backward progress in fact since one of my rear tyres went flat at the 4&rotor nats and then exploded on the motorway on the way back just before mercer, wrecking my rim and breaking a wheelstud off the rear left hub.

whatever sob sob im working hard to regain some cash so i can get the last of what i need - tyres, fuel pump, radiator, and pay for the tourer V 2way LSD, subframe and brakes from the slipway garage

but no one cares, all you want is pics and progress. hey thats all i want.

2jz delivered and ready to rock

chaser%20-%202JZ%201.jpg

chaser%20-%202JZ%202.jpg

chaser%20-%202JZ%203.jpg

ECU and missing 40p body loom finally obtained

chaser%20-%20ECU.jpg

basic manual boost controller for 1st turbo spool boost increase before switchover (2nd turbo controller will probably be an electronic controller)

chaser%20-%20boost%20controller.jpg

Exedy HDB clutch as recommended by niteparts

chaser%20-%20clutch.jpg

Work Rezax 18x8.5, 18x9.5

chaser%20-%20rezax%201.jpg

chaser%20-%20rezax%202.jpg

chaser%20-%20rezax%203.jpg

slow and steady wins the race etc

um what part of "5k in debt" dont you understand. wheels were an epic $270 - obviously temporary to replace the no name 17s on there now

i dont have 2.5k to spend on bling name brand jdm baller shit at the moment sorry - if i did id have just bought a 18k factory manual version from the start wouldnt i.

if i did id have just bought a 18k factory manual version from the start wouldnt i.

mmm, i keep seeing that "one" on trademe during my browsing, ive looked at the auction a countless number of times :lol:

HA SAME...

But surely if some good cunt was selling a un-molested stock one privately they'd be a bit cheaper? its from a dealer isnt it???

Seen that other mint auto one down south?

with 23kms on the clock and still on 'factory bridgestone tires' supposedly, if only that was a manual one...

• 1 month later...

so at last update seemingly years ago, i bought (in a spur of the moment risk-take) some cheap Work Rezax rims at 18×8.5/9.5, but at a fail offset of +38/+44. i thought, for $270, why not give it a try??

chrome was all fucked and peeling off, so i thought, this is a chance to do something completely different – and i painted them flat black also. surely with some spacers i could make it work. lol. Work. pun. sigh.

chaser%20-%20rezax%204.jpg

anyway while the painting went well, i dont think it WORKed. spent more money i didnt have on some 215/35 F 225/40 R rubber, turns out the 35 profile is way more visually rubber-band than 40 profile. so it looks like a hotrod now (jacked rear small wheel front) but again thats what i get for mismatched profiles and +44 rubbish i guess. hey its a WORK in progress. ok thats the end of that gag.

which brings me to updates. basically i had no money for ages cus i was busy buying crap in preparation for the swap. but just a week ago i decided it was time to get cracking. that, and the fact that my WOF ran out, and i couldnt get another with the adjustables. tomayto, tomarto.

so i was thinking:

if a 1jz gte chaser is a jzx100, and a 2jzge chaser is a jzx101, then i reckon a 2jzgte chaser should be a jzx102.

so how do you make a jzx102?

1) shove an x100 deep into the abyss of the slipway chasm

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2002.jpg

2) drag a 2jzgte out of the bushes using a van, tractor-pull styles

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2004.jpg

3) chuck it into the back of said van

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2005.jpg

4) using a hoist, without wrecking the back of the van’s roof liner with the hoist arm. WITHOUT, i said…… ahh. too late.

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2006.jpg

5) dump the 2jz carcass into the garage

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2008.jpg

6) size it up and plan the attack

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2010.jpg

7) rip out the offending 1G. god damn 1Gs. they are like a plague.

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2011.jpg

consider filling the gap with a rotary. or an SR40detttt

100418%20-%20engine%20pull%2013.jpg

9) psyche yourself up for the hard and dull part of preparing the new motor before dropping it in. and realising you have a shitload to do – like missing intake pipes, broken sensors, unknown bodyloom pinouts, powersteering pumps on wrong side, new aircon lines needed, hydraulic fan needing deleting, intercooler too wide to fit where originally planned, no radiator, no fuel pump, no new cambelt kit, $$$$$$ etc.

10) clean up and go home.

im currently buying more parts to continue this build. if anyone has tips on gx100 body loom wiring, please let me know. also if you have a 2jzgte twin turbo intake pipe.

otherwise, theres no returning now! JZX102, or bust!

-nige