lofreq's x100 garage slipway chaser

lofreq

So i got a chaser ;>

i will be holding on to this for a while and most of the major work wont be happening till a year later, because im off overseas next yr. so why buy another car after just selling the boso markII if im leaving? well i just felt like it because frankly im sick of relying on mums auto corolla between now and then.

this thing sat on trademe and at the docks for like a year i think doing nothing. sat in my watchlist constantly for months. went back and forth over buying this as an "old" car (1996) but only 75,000k's and factory manual, or buy a newer facelift model (1999+) with nicer interior and whatnot but higher k's and auto and footbrake instead of handbrake and all kinds of gay shit like that.

so fuckit, figured a newer lower mileage car with all factory manual options but a shit motor was better than high mileage car with better motor but all wrong options. bargained price with the wholesaler and got a good deal on it

Here it is as per dealer photos sitting in the yard:

091017%20-%20new%20chaser%2001.jpg

091017%20-%20new%20chaser%2002.jpg

1996 Toyota Chaser Avante - GX100, 1G-FE straight 6 twin cam, W57 manual. nothing else worth mentioning really. But a perfect daily for me and a great base for more mods later.

So plan is: build a tough daily streeter, full creature comforts, + grunt for grins.

ideas are:

- 18x8.5, 18x9.5 +15 rims, in the weeds

- Aimgain kit or similar, straight lines only, no ducts/scoops/vents/etc, no spoiler/wing

- Toyota brown, contemplating satin finish, not sure yet

- 2JZ-GTE, VVTI, all stock incl air con, but with more breathable dump pipes

nice and simple, tasteful and tough. see how we go.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took her for a maiden cruise down to Narrowneck/Takapuna. Notice the incredibly high ride height, worsened by gigantic 225/50R17 tyres on some ugly as heck 17x8/17x9 rims

091017%20-%20new%20chaser%2004.jpg

091017%20-%20new%20chaser%2005.jpg

This simply would not do, when you walked 20ft away from the car and turned around to look at it, you can clearly see all 4 tyres under the car + sky / other cars driving by behind it. absolutely ridiculous. Tyres were also so wide and balloony that they would actually scrape fender when exiting diagonally out of driveways. factory tyre size is 195/65/15, so the 225's were like 4% oversize (diameter), sluggish to drive due to larger turning radius, and the 1G doesnt need any more of a challenge really

Within 4 days i had found a tyre shop to trade the tyres for something more suitable - got some 215/45R17's on it. acceleration is slightly more sprightly now :)

091017%20-%20new%20chaser%2013.jpg

muchhh better :) well other than the ride height...

1 week into it and already its time for down suspension cutting. Garage Slipway boys sourced some sweet Tein HE Winding Masters for me, from a JZX90, so was hoping they would fit

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2001.jpg

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2002.jpg

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2003.jpg

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2004.jpg

thought id take the chance to try to cover up those horrid wheels by making them harder to see

this was the hardest part of the whole process - masking the fuckin things. lots of backbreaking work.

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2005.jpg

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2006.jpg

final result: didnt even have to adjust the height settings from the previous owners settings - came out perfectly dumped. 25way adjustable dampers so i just wound the fronts to 50%, rears 30% stiffness, since this is gonna see street much more than track. ride is perfectly comfortable, yet nice and firm, without being bouncy - wheels are still mud but will do for now till the right deal comes up

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2012.jpg

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2014.jpg

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2016.jpg

a reasonable improvement :) wheels suffering from massive lack of offset, weird black factory sidetrim makes bodylines weird, lack of front lip makes front bumper look too high. so, just means i know what to do next.

coming up (hopefully): front lip, stereo upgrade (it has a japanese FM band Minidisc player in it! all i have is newstalk ZB (anything is better than maiFM), tints i think, and an alarm of some sort...

the kit above has those massive flared out bottom ends like a BN Sports kit... dont really wana go that way, i think the flared out 'street sweeper' style has kinda been ruined by all the driftboy flatpeak clowns..

thinking more subtle, and just offset stance it out - this is the Aimgain kit:

very simple, unobtrusive to the pooint that it just continues the stock body lines down (rather than introduce new mad angles) i think is more where im headed?? just some ideas anyway:

Aimgain:

AG100Front2.jpgAG100Side.jpg

AG100Rear2.jpg

concept mockup of some kinda unrealistic dark candy brown (but kinda tough i think) with some Wolf Wheels:

AG100Front%20concept.jpg

or here's a Traum Ares x100 kit with some CST Zero-1 Hyper's p'shopped on, and brownified (this one came out sand coloured):

x100,%20brown,%20CST.jpg

i like to visualise for 290 yrs and then do it all in one go suddenly, it seems. hehe. im thinking brown... either brown or olive green. however using a factory toyota brown like my old cressida would be a nice tribute? this colour:

new%20rims%20Nokia007.jpg

one thing u can help me out with - should i do the whole 'dark wheels with metal lip' look, or the 'concave spokes right to the edge with no dish' look? i have been trying to decide for the past 4 weeks with no real idea either way.........?? altho today im leaning to the side of gunmetal wheel+machined lip.....?? maybe make it look just like my cressida above but just 10yrs newer...

also should i go satin or not try to be too fancy and stick with standard gloss for my brown shade.

??

But this please.

3243023729_ef0636b6d0_o.jpg

fuck me - thats the best one yet. almost as gd as your avatar.

/set:newdesktopbackground for inspiration

maybe 'metal lip' look is also old - flat black dish is fucking tough!

inspired me to photoshop the photo i took on saturday into this - same wheels just blacked out, blacked out chrome, and i have a softspot for the orange indicators - prefer them over the clear stock ones:

091024%20-%20down%20suspension%2016%20pshoppd.jpg

...needs front lip, in flat black also... but fuck i think we're beginning to get somewhere now!

carefull man pple around here will normaly bag you for slapping pastic on cars :rolleyes:

shame i dont have any 100 parts to give you, binned all the uless crap and used all the good stuff

but if you need anything related to the jzx100 chassis ring trent @ totally toyota in the naki, he imports damaged chasers/mark IIs and as alot floating around, i just scored alot of parts a few months back of a trd chaser

http://www.totallytoyotas.co.nz/

as for kits i find teh WALD series of bolt ons rather appealing but each to there own

oh p.s nice camry

you will get that alot along with bmw and my favourite Diamante

carefull man pple around here will normaly bag you for slapping pastic on cars :rolleyes:

shame i dont have any 100 parts to give you, binned all the uless crap and used all the good stuff

but if you need anything related to the jzx100 chassis ring trent @ totally toyota in the naki, he imports damaged chasers/mark IIs and as alot floating around, i just scored alot of parts a few months back of a trd chaser

http://www.totallytoyotas.co.nz/

as for kits i find teh WALD series of bolt ons rather appealing but each to there own

oh p.s nice camry

you will get that alot along with bmw and my favourite Diamante

yeah - was advertised as a camry. hope i can insure it as a camry. lol at them fools.

"slapping pastic"? do u mean 'plastic'? plastic kits? watchutalkinboutwillis. explain!

thanks for the totallytoyotas hookup, i wana get some facelift taillights for this thing, and maybe some interior accessories, but thats all i think.... ill hit up trent maybe?

and yeah WALD is not bad - depends whats available and affordable more than anything!

whats happenbing with urs man.. new turbo?

Bro, brown body on flat black rims rock my world.

amen brother!