Horse25's 10HP Running Air compressor

Horse25

Not sure if its a good idea posting this here but hey its a project!

Wanted an air compressor, but one with grunt so i bought a 7.5kw 3 phase which puts out about 30-35cfm also about 200L, got it off a panel beater in Blenheim. Its old but to buy one new and smaller one its 3-4K and this was 500 :D

so ive picked it up a few weekends ago, about 8.5 drive with no problems!

v5fk38.jpg

started building a pad/shelter on the side of the garage, miles from the house by Right next to the neighbors haha,

Took half the fence from here for a wall

6xx07s.jpg

turns out the post are about 1m deep thought it was be easyish to dig the holes for them, pain in the arse to get the dirt out after so far down

2hg8uvm.jpg

242el2f.jpg

hoping to make more progress tomorrow!

got a bit more done today,

mh7ltc.jpg

laid the slab, hopefully get the rest of the shelter done next week, also lined up 2 bails of batts, just double line it.

does anyone know how much airflow these things need? would leaving the door open at one end when in use be enough? or would it be alright even if it was shut?

23kt5ig.jpg

If its running constantly i'd say you'll want some decent airflow. Mine gets farking hot if run continuous, not sure how hot they can operate at though. Maybe a door at each end would help.

Nice looking pad you go there, meshed it too, hardout :badgrin: Sucks hard to be your neighbours haha

side note: I have a concrete post I ripped out from a fence in 'ok' condition lying around if its of any use. Probably not :P

• 4 weeks later...

If you have low and high level vents in your enclosure on two sides, it should be able to provde plenty of cooling through natural ventilation. As the air gets hot its will rise and exit out the top and will draw in air at low level, plus you will get some wind load venting the room and provide air paths for when the compressor is dragging in air.

Would just cover them with birdmesh and a flashing to prevent rodents getting cosy in there and water ingress.

That said, unless you are building something completely air tight you shouldn'y have too much of a problem as there will be plenty of leakage.

RE: noise, I imagine that most of the noise that will come off this will be of low frequencies. Pink bats won't do anything to stop that, you need something with a fair bit of mass to stop the lower freq's. Something like 3 or 4 10/12mm gib panels would probably do the trick. Can explain that more if wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

made a bit more progress this weekend, hope to have it up and running by the end of the year!

chucked a couple of bails of batts in and then lined it with hardies, did a rough job, but no1 is going to see it so im not worried, then moved in the compressor. Took me ages using a log to lever it and rolling it on wood on pipes.

2uo3otc.jpg

mmm motor starter/pressure switch wiring

16jjwoh.jpg

also went to steel and tube and bought these. Have a friend that works at Topmaq so got 20% off all the air tools/hose/fittings so a female adapter will screw on the end of that and the hose will plug into that. Will have 2 hoses.

30kft69.jpg

and because they are both drivable :P

wllir.jpg

made a bit more progress this weekend, hope to have it up and running by the end of the year!

chucked a couple of bails of batts in and then lined it with hardies, did a rough job, but no1 is going to see it so im not worried, then moved in the compressor. Took me ages using a log to lever it and rolling it on wood on pipes.

2uo3otc.jpg

mmm motor starter/pressure switch wiring

16jjwoh.jpg

also went to steel and tube and bought these. Have a friend that works at Topmaq so got 20% off all the air tools/hose/fittings so a female adapter will screw on the end of that and the hose will plug into that. Will have 2 hoses.

30kft69.jpg

and because they are both drivable :P

wllir.jpg

you did a sweet job on the housing for your compressor mate

looks good as for sleeping in (if the wife kicks me out for some

reason)

wired it up last night and fired it up,

pretty quiet, doesnt shake the ground or anything, ie no low bass sounds

camera doesn't have the best sound capture in the world, so when i open the door it sounds the same but really its louder in person.

just waiting on some coin to buy the rest of it!