Archetype's 1979 Mazda RX-7

crazytim

^^ Yeah I kinda agree.

Im going to have to thru the same problem with the wheels that I want to fit on Kermit. I currently have nissan 4pots, and I really doubt that they are going to fit. But like you, they are the wheels I have been after for aaages, so fuck it, I'l find a way to make the brakes work, or find some other brakes that will fit. I reckon everytime you see the car you will be stoked you held onto the wheels you really wanted for it.

The car isnt real heavy, there should be plenty of other brakes that will be more than suffcient?

I'l stop rambling now...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Longchamps are only available up to 15" (XR4s, anyway - the later style XR4Zs don't count/are yuck).

It's not the diameter which is the problem though - it's just the flatness of the inner face of the wheel leaving no room for wide brake calipers.

I reckon they'd look good on an R30/R31 or something, but it's not the look I'm going for. Might look nice if they were super wide, painted black, with polished lips. Dunno.

I'll go internet hunting for wheel ideas now. I'm keen to stick to 15s, and the wider the better. Still not 100% against keeping my existing wheels if I can find a solution (I'm looking into other brake options).

Mega camber on the front will potentially eliminate the 15mm that the Longchamps will stick out by if I end up using my 15mm spacers (wheels are currently flush with guards, which haven't been lipped or flared at all).

fluro is dumb, it has to be combined with a car/wheel/aero package that is equally as out there. On a super tidy car I think the wheels want to be super tidy to match, have a look on YAJ as there are a few wheels in 4x110(I havnt read this thread so it might be a s3 with 4x114.3 but there are 4 billion wheels in that pattern) new work 03's look lame, if you are heading down that path then please go for og style. Steels are heavy and look meh compared to equiv. width alloys.

IMO the only real option you have posted is te37v's but they will cost ALOT of money. Trawl through japland for an hour or so and see what you come up with. Make brakes suit the wheels you have and then get a spare set for the track.

Lip your guards too.

/rant

• 5 months later...

No, I haven't, and I'm struggling to picture how that would work - got any example pics?

For the moment, I think I'll just get some longer studs, use the 15mm spacers that I have and flare/lip the front guards if required. First priority is to get this thing running and moving, then sort out any bugs or issues later.

most rwd cars run this setup from the factory, here is a toyota hub but should give you the right idea, uses 4 bolts to attach the disc behind the hub before you put it on the stub axel... usally you use a disc with less offset like a peugeot to make the caliper easier to fab, but if your going for clearance then you may have to hunt for the right disc...

disc.jpg

but yea, more track is always a good thing, roll the guards proper and add some camber, also a good idea to add the same amount of extra track to rear to keep the proper balance of the car, different offsets could already be doing this?

• 2 years later...
Guest MRWEST

just read build thread front to back nice work, will be a nice car complete!

Any idea from memory on cost of stripping and zincing bolts and nuts?