xsspeed's pushbikes

xsspeed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your clever with cog sizes then you can get away with vertical dropouts.

I've got a SS jump bike with vertical dropouts and no chain tensioner, just a matter of finding the perfect combo, theres calculators online, all you need is the centre to centre measurement of BB to rear axle and the number of teeth on your chainring.

cheers.

Progress is progress even when its not...

So decided to buy anothe road bike as the avanti is just too big a frame to work out as a fixie. So picked up a Healing Shogun just now on trademe.

105640535_full.jpg

At least now it means I can commute on the white bike over summer while I turn the Shogun into a fixie.

Also the mrs was feeling left out on the pushbike front so I bought her this on trademe yesterday:

105554583_full.jpg

In other news surgery is looming for my shoulder so need to get as much done as possible ASAP

• 1 year later...

Dredge, fuck images broke, and didn't get round to these prior to surgery, then bought a boat so they have sat in the shed for ages.

Anyway, thread revival with bikemeatZOII looming

I picked up a Phillips bike, chucked it back together on sunday in an hour or so.

Had a raleigh sports bike I grabbed off trademe a few weeks ago, delivered by the GC coldturkey. Lucky I grabbed it as I need pedals and front brake cable. Fitted those without a hitch, pedals aren't quite period spec but then neither is the crank on it I don't think.

Anyway pics...

Assembled:

DSC08001.jpg

Shifter:

DSC08002.jpg

Patina

DSC08003.jpg

Dynamo

DSC08009.jpg

Not sure what this doohickey does? Its a plastic pulley wheel that says sturmey archer on it?

DSC08010.jpg

Raleigh sports pedals fitted

DSC08015.jpg

Sweet rear light...no idea if dynamo is operational btw - need to pump tyres and go for a pedal

DSC08013.jpg

Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub - seems to change gears sweet, and freewheels fine, need to check out power transfer when tyres pumped up

DSC08014.jpg

Question time, the brake/shifter/power cables run down the top tube and are just taped on. You can get these sweet little clamps (forgot to take pic from other bike) that have a guide in them for the cable to run through - anyone know where these would be available (will get a pic as my explanation sucks).

Here's where I mean re tape though:

DSC08008.jpg

Now, last night I also began pulling apart the mrs' Empire sports - plan was to strip and paint to restore to former glory, but it has some sweet oldschool stickers on it so may just clean and polish it up and see how it comes up.

When I was trying to get the stem out I noticed the ball bearings dont actually have a carrier - luckily I didn't pull it a apart too quickly and caught all of these:

DSC08053.jpg

Not so lucky on round two as I completely forgot there'd be bearing at the other end of the headstock and so it decided to do mini ball bearing wees on my garage floor, collected about 15 or so of them off the floor but probably not all of them. I am hoping on of the spare raleigh sports I have is setup the same way and I will pilfer some of them.

DSC08054.jpg

Any idea if these could be purchased if that avenue fails?

Next was trying to separate the stem from the forks and headstock - seems to be pretty well stuck. Bolt and "chock" have been undone/knocked out, but I think there must be corosion between the stem and fork tubes. Will crc them up, but is there any trick to splitting them? Hoping one of the guys who work lots with bikes will be able to offer me a gem here.

DSC08056.jpg

Some other snaps of the Empire

DSC08050.jpg

DSC08049.jpg

DSC08051.jpg

That wheel is a pulley for stock gear cable routing. At some stage your has had the cable replaced with a shrouded one. Put you bars back on and just twist them against the forks. They can be a cunt to get out. Sometimes a smack with a hammer can shock things free

Ok sweet, I had it in the vice and malletted the forks, but probably not generating enough tork. I will whack the bar back in or put a bar through.

Any idea re those ball bearings? Going to see if the standard 1" head stock bearing carriers will fit as I have some of them arround. Otherwise will grease and stack these bearings in - will be painstaking work I imagine.

sweet bikes brah.

off topic slightly but, whom is a good place to get crank cotters from? I know there's two sizes, what are they? plz help bike d00dz

xioox

pretty sure I have a set of used 9.5mm ones somewhere... (assuming your just meaning the pins)