Spongy brakes, STILL... (help)

Trigger

Hey, I haven't read through this in detail just quickly skimmed. But make sure your vacuum hose is in good condition. My pedal used to go spongy when engine bay got warm, turned out my vacuum hose had weakened as was collapsing when warm.

When I've had issues I could never work out I found easiest way =

Bleed well.

Put a vice grip on all corners, try pump it and see if any pressure. If no pressure then its probably a M/C issue or you have a loose connection somewhere before the vice grips.

If hard then take one ice grip off at a time and bleed each corner then replace vice grip. can usually tell just by removing a vice grip and pumping whether or not the issue is in that corner. ie soft pedal for just one corner.

Goodluck.

ok iv got a similar issue with my lancer so ill throw it in here, ex lancer stock 1200cc master and booster

starion front struts and s14 rear calipers

car drove round for 6 months and got cert with setup brakes were sweet as

went to a track day kaned the fuck out of my car and it loved it

driving home brakes pedal had more throw, from what i can remember

car sat around at home for ages, i rebuilt the rear brakes (coz the were sticking if left sitting on for ages) and chucked them back on (front were rebuilt 6 months ago)

rebleed front and rear brakes heaps

with the engine off give the pedal a couple of pumps and its hard as a rock

but turn the car on and it has a bit of travel and never really gets to that rock hard stage if you pump it, the pedal feels reasonably solid but the braking performance is definately down on what it was before, you can jump on it hard as fark and it wont lock up

put a vice grip on any of the lines, (only needs to be one line) and the pedal goes hard as instantly

any ideas?

pads are getting quite low but they should self adjust, corrrect?

is it possible that now the pads are worn down its bringing to light a mismatched m/c like uj is talking about?

but didnt think theyd go hard like they do when the cars off

I've been a slack cunt and havent had a chance to get out to the shed and try anything yet... :doubt:

But guess that happens when your wife gives birth a few weeks early! :shock:

maybe in a few weeks I'll get out there... ?

Ke36: at least your setup "was" working at some satge so hopefully it just needs a GOOD bleed

with some DOT 4-5 fluid? Be keen to hear how you get on...

ok rebleed the rear brakes tonight and replaced the rear pads with the top ones repco do off the shelf

guna change the fronts in a few days when i have time

id say its maybe alittle better but cant really tell

still definately improves when you give it a couple of pumps

now im starting to question myself and wonder if this is as good as the ever were?? :lol:

when they car is off they are mint, hard as rock

im fuckin over bleeding them, have gone thru 1.5l fluid making sure there completely flushed and bleed

how do you work out what size master you need to match to your brakes?

i know my rear caliper piston diameter, guna measure the front when i change the pads

whats the best way to check it?

pedal falls away under foot a little when you first start car, which is wat it is meant to do?

cant hear any noise/hissing when you turn car off like a leak

i would like to work out what master i need for infos sake cos im always keen for ways of upgrading my car

and im sure others will use the info

UJ, if the diaphragm was torn the pedal wouldn't change when you start the engine?

a good way to check if you have integrity in your vacuum system is to turn the car off then give you brakes a couple of pumps. you should be able to get two proper hard pedal travels before you run out of vacuum.

there are some really important points in this thread, it is imperative that you have about 0.50 to 1.00mm gap between your booster plunger and your master cylinder plunger.

the other one i can think of is bleeding your master, you can do this on the car, just crack the outlets and get the air out as much as posable.

another thing you could try is your caliper piston seals.

they look like gay square bits of rubber formed into a ring but they do an incredibly important job. they decide how much (all other things being equal) your piston retreats once you take your foot off the pedal.

try re-building your calipers with some new seals and some proper rubber grease. have a good look at the pistons. if you see any deformation or build up remove it with some 2000 gritt paper and some ÇRC.

apart from that i have no idea why your brakes are giving you such trouble. but please let us know when you find the problem.

sheepers

Sorry, I don't know the correct proceedure for checking a vacuum booster

would u care to share the info on how to match master cylinder size to piston caliper sizes?

sheepers brakes are good, both sets have been rebuilt in the last 6 months

and yea i think the booster is ok as from what i can read on the net it does all the things it should do, when tested

whats the best way to check it?

pedal falls away under foot a little when you first start car, which is wat it is meant to do?

cant hear any noise/hissing when you turn car off like a leak

i would like to work out what master i need for infos sake cos im always keen for ways of upgrading my car

and im sure others will use the info

Sorry, I don't know the correct proceedure for checking a vacuum booster

yea pedal should go down a bit when you start the car .

• 1 month later...