SHGWAG's FD3S

SHGWAG

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I wish. Skids in the carpark wouldn't go down to well.

This thing has done it's ~1000km run in.

Going to pay off the credit card before going for another tune.

The goal is (and has always been) 300kw atw.

Also, the suspension bushes are all pretty old, so are on the to do list.

Paint job is also in the future of this thing.

• 1 month later...

So after running wastegate spring pressure (12PSI) since the initial run in tune, yesterday I hooked up the AVC-R.

Boost is coming on sooner and, from just off idle, it's pulling harder right through the rev range.

The car is now making 12 PSI at around 3400, rather than the previous 4000rpm.

The rev cut was set at 6500 rpm for the run in tune, this now needs to go to develop the full potential of the setup.

Since the run in tune was so rich, the AFRs are still fine (actually, still quite rich) so there is more fuel to be pulled out of this.

My Levin has sold (Pending Payment) so this mean that I should have it re tuned by the end of next month.

And who knows, once I've had lunch I may even put up some pictures.

Only just read the updates here but this ultra rich 'run in tune' sounds like the worst thing ever, running super rich is not good for anything. Should have just put a crisp tune on it and fanged it.

• Like 1

Spencer: You're correct, unfortunately I don't have the hardware to pull fuel out, AFR is sitting around 10:1 across the board, which is fine under boost conditions as this is what Mazda had factory, however at idle it's not much leaner which is my major issue with the tune.

The boost controller has leaned out the low end boost to ~11:1.

Dave: Yea, it's currently running 14 degrees advance, it should be between 17 & 19.

Unfortunately Cartune didn't want to advance the timing any more than this, or lean it out further.

Had I known more about AFRs and IGN timing at the time I would have taken it elsewhere.

Onwards and upwards, a proper tuner will be doing the full tune.

Cartune originally had 12 degrees in this thing = 235kw atw

Put 2 more degrees in it and got 251.

With this still being 5 degrees out from where it should be, it should make another ~30-40kw just through timing alone.

I was thinking there might be a rotary specific answer, but I cannot fathom why you would have timing set incorrectly from the start? Fuel I can understand a bit - as they are covering their ass/dont want it to go pop while they are still 'liable' for the motor

They were just chicken by the sounds. Irony is that they can do more damage letting Mike drive off with this ridiculous tune rather than putting a reasonable 11.5-12:1 tune on it and banging a bit of timing in. Especially at cruise speeds and idle where you should be around stoic or lean, pissing fuel in with no timing is bad bad.