Simon's 1985 Toyota AW11 MR2

Simon

Got the car about a year and a half ago in 6th form with a few small bits of rust to cut out and get a wof the next day.

697997092a5372266050o.jpg

Then proceeded with my "minor" rust work:

pic1589s.jpg

pic15345490.jpg

pic0229.jpg

pic0233.jpg

pic1579.jpg

pic1580.jpg

pic1581.jpg

pic1582.jpg

After ages i started spraying it with shit primer from trade me. Massive fail there.

Decided to sand it all off and use a proper primer. Another fail, was like sanding cheese.

Wiped it off with thinners even after months of sitting.

Got some good filler primer and got a spray gun off trade me then went hard.

1000371p.jpg

1000372q.jpg

1000785g.jpg

1000786d.jpg

1000787.jpg

1000788qbl.jpg

697997092a9940864936o.jpg

Thought because i could spray filler primer with no runs etc, i could also paint it.

Big fail + waste of $200

So took it into one of dads mates on a friday to mask up and paint in the booth.

Not million dollar paint job but i still havnt (and probably wont) been charged, not even for paint. :D

Its not what you know, its who you / your dad knows.

1001110.jpg

1001117l.jpg

1001119.jpg

1001012.jpg

1001016a.jpg

1001020.jpg

1001022.jpg

1001107.jpg

I also have a factory spoiler and side skirts to put on soon.

Motor is just standard large port 4AGE 16v.

I just have to get some last things like cam seals and cam belt before i take the motor out and install the 265 cams from Kiwicams along with a Black top 20v flywheel, clutch and extractors. Had a 6 speed box to put in, was told it was LSD :x . (Every gear box is LSD on trade me). So sold it.

Future plans are not heaps, just brakes and maybe suspension. Its got some unknowen lowering springs and shock inserts. Need to get tyres so can put the other rims (same as front) on.

0-100 as it is now:

Some people think these are OS. Not me.

Real fun to drive, find myself just driving over the saddle rd because i can.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig the AW11 but I reckon they look ham without the rear spoiler. Get onto that shit asap.

Same, reason is the boot lid with the holes in for spoiler also has a vent in it to supply air to an in boot filter which i havnt done yet. So once i put the filter in the boot ill do spoiler. The car was never optioned with side skirts from the factory so there are no mounts. Will have to figure that out also.

good work man, kudos for sticking with it even when things didnt go right first time. it looks pretty straight from the photos and black is the worst colour for dents and such.

my advice, continue in your present fashion and all will be sweet.

sheepers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just dropped motor and box together with loom, inlet and exhaust manifolds attached. Was easier than i thought. Smashed dizzy cap in the process though. Cant really expect all to go perfect when doing it by your self for the first time.

Got the box split off, clutch and fly wheel off. Dont have torque wrench so will have to wait for that. Standard clutch is quite a lot smaller and pressure plate weaker than black top. Didnt realize it was that big.

Standard bluetop fly wheel = 7.5kg

Black top = 6kg

But you probably knew that.

Found out only the two bolts closest to the center of the exhaust manifold were on (and they were loose as). The other studs had fallen out so the whole manifold leaked on the under side. Dont know how i missed that, you can usually hear them.

Also need shit like engine mounts cos some of mine are stuffed. Might just fill mine with poo and wait till i do the small port.

Love mechanical work rather than body work. You can get so much more done in a day.

697997092a10514229395l.jpg

697997092a10514229425l.jpg

697997092a10514229452l.jpg

697997092a10514229476l.jpg

Cheers,

Just put some raceish cams in it. 265 duration and moar lift, don't know how much but turns the motor into interference as i found out. Also redrilled cam gears, light fly wheel and black top 20v extractors, down pipe etc.

1001228.jpg

Just got it running, still need to do dizzy timing and O2 sensor but it runs all good as it is now.

A bit rough at idle, tries to die when you turn the lights / fan on etc, screwed idle speed up kinda fixed it but then idles way too high. Might just have to keep on the gas cos that fixes it.

Revs up way quicker than before, rev counter cant keep up. Haven't driven it yet, need to sort exhaust and clutch bleed but looking forward to seeing just how much better it goes. Might not meat my expectations and ill continue on my 3sgte quest. But it may be pretty sweet and dort hard. Might keep it.

sell me the cams if you dont want them :P

lol

since you beat me to buying them in the first place hahaha

Haha, yeh we could figure something out if i go 3s.

Are they the cams that Markku had? What were they again? Mean. I like the sounds of it.

Howcome you had to redrill cam gears?

Hopefully you get the cooling system reliable an give it a sweet workout on the track :twisted:

Yes, cams came from Markku.

Heres a spec sheet. Click the little picture, the big picture is huge.

camspecs.th.jpg

Didn't have to use re drilled cam gears. Moar retard of inlet and advance of exhaust though. (I think that's what they were doing). Markku said use these so I did.

Cooling system is sweet now. Nice new red coolant and cleaned pipes etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i got the 3sgte.

gen 2 with a rebuilt bottom end, rebuilt ct20b turbo and two boxes with a VLSD to put in one.

1001279h.jpg

Plan to go nuts after exams and try get it put in my car.

Got axles and AFM and ECU and IC and twin pots basically everything to make it work.

Just got to make two mounts (two bolt up) and wire the engine harness / ecu into the AW11 loom.

• 2 months later...
I dig the AW11 but I reckon they look ham without the rear spoiler. Get onto that shit asap.

Got onto it, only to stop the wheels being so obvious / falling off.

1001465dnt.jpg

1001464a.jpg

eeeep.jpg

This things kinda on the back burner at the moment. Will get onto conversion when the weather gets friendlier.

Iv been convinced into coilovers.

Yet to be decided.

Probably just pay up and buy bc's or something made to fit the car.

Not hard to modify the facelift ones to fit this car.

Then can run SW sway bars and be hard core.

Got a surprise fifteen hundy check in the male from scholarship deal i forgot about + 350 tax back.

You going to be able to get that cylinder in time for the weekend?

Can give you cash / screen on the day.