Low oil pressure at idle

Yowzer

So I was goin for a drive today, and the oil light started coming on at low rpm. This is kinda strange as it was completely fine yesterday.

The engine is a 5mge with a 4m oil pressure sender, pickup and sump. Oil is brand new 20W50. As I said, it was mint yesterday and not so mint today. Not keen on running a bearing just after I get the car going again..

Throw me some ideas on what could be causing this. The pickup didn't look like it was worn out or anything

Cheers

I think it wants 10-40 but I went with 20-50. Has a repco jobbie filter. Maybe I'll chuck some flush through it and another new filter and see what happens.

I don't know how the old owner treated the engine but it ran mint up till today. Seems a bit odd that it was fine yesterday (although that could just mean the oil was only a bit higher than the pressure sender... :? )

I am personally VERY anti engine oil flush. Think about where all the crapo will end up.

A brand new aftermarket filter has every chance of not being suitable. It hasn't happened to me yet but it does happen. If you still have the old one you might even be able to see a difference between the two once they are both on the bench.

Go a different brand filter, I am not saying this is the problem but it is a fairly cheap experiment

if it has low oil pressure on 20W50 it's going to have even less pressure with 10W40. It could be a blocked oil pickup/strainer, worn oil pump, stuck open relief valve, blocked oil filter, or even a dodgy oil sender unit.

Had a problem with my ma and pa's old trusty '86 Sigma which they had since new, got a service every 6 months on the dot despite doing bugger all kms between services - oil hardly got a chance to go brown/black etc. The oil light started flickering on and off at idle... thought fark something's buggered, definitely wasn't low on oil and it just had a fresh filter - chucked on an oil pressure guage and all was reading well, it was just a dicky sender unit in the end.

if it has low oil pressure on 20W50 it's going to have even less pressure with 10W40. It could be a blocked oil pickup/strainer, worn oil pump, stuck open relief valve, blocked oil filter, or even a dodgy oil sender unit.

Had a problem with my ma and pa's old trusty '86 Sigma which they had since new, got a service every 6 months on the dot despite doing bugger all kms between services - oil hardly got a chance to go brown/black etc. The oil light started flickering on and off at idle... thought fark something's buggered, definitely wasn't low on oil and it just had a fresh filter - chucked on an oil pressure guage and all was reading well, it was just a dicky sender unit in the end.

youd be surprised with the first comment , i put diesel oil into the ca when i first got it (to clean the fuck out of it ) , is is a 15w40 weight oil and my guage read normal , i put 10w40 in it and now the pressure is off the heeezy .

yea get a mehcanical gauge and check the oil pessure before beginning to think its somthing that has gone horribly wrong.

Gauge has the wrong thread so did not fit, but a spare sender I stuck on gives the same results...

Just when I thought everything was sorted :(

tbh get someone with a mech gauge and hook that up and check so you know for SURE that its ok .

it would suck for you motor to slowly die cos its not getting enough pressure lol